Thread: Button down collar - How do you put your tie on with it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Button down collar - How do you put your tie on with it?

Majority of my dress shirts have spread collar, which makes my life easy when I put a tie on.
    However, I do have a few button down collar shirts that I wear for casual days.

In those days, I put the tie on by keeping the button on, just flip up the back of the collar, slide the tie in between button and front collar, finish tying my tie, and then flip down the collar.

I happened to look at myself doing that in the mirror this morning, and I was wondering how everybody else does it.
    Is unbuttoning the collar, tying the tie, and buttoning the collar the normal way of doing it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I generally unbutton them and then put my tie on as if it was a normal collared shirt with the points raised and then rebutton after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    I button the points after getting the tie knotted, but I'm fussy about having the section around the collar lay flat (can't adjust it with the points buttoned) and have nimble fingers to deal with the tiny buttons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I wear a spread collar and don't bother with a tie if I'm going to wear a button down collar. So I guess the answer is I dunno.

Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1967 Post(s)
    I only have my collar buttoned-down when I am actually wearing the shirt. So, yeah, I only button the shirt after I've put on the tie. Not too complicated. Once the tie comes off at the end of the day, the collar is unbuttoned and goes into the laundry, hung dry, ironed, and into the closet until the next time it's worn.
    Ben

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    958 Post(s)
    In terms of what I do, I almost never wear a tie with my button down shirts, so it's an N/A for me. However, you can damage the tie if you're tugging on it to thread it through the buttoned-down collar, so would suggest doing the extra step of unbuttoning.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    I start with an unbuttoned collar. I always flip up the collar when tying a tie, then flip it down when finished (and button it when it's a button-down).

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Quoted
    986 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    I start with an unbuttoned collar. I always flip up the collar when tying a tie, then flip it down when finished (and button it when it's a button-down).
    I hardly ever flip the collar up to tie my tie. I only recall doing this for my tux bow tie.

As for the OP question, unbutton to thread the tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I almost never wear a tie with my button down shirts, so it's an N/A for me.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Once the tie comes off at the end of the day, the collar is unbuttoned and goes into the laundry, hung dry, ironed, and into the closet until the next time it's worn.
    Interesting, you iron after it is dry before going in the closet. Any reason why? I usually don’t iron until I go to wear it. I guess your way saves time in the morning getting ready and you can batch process the ironing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    I also don’t wear a tie with my button down dress shirts. I just don’t like the way they look with a button down collar. But when I used to I would unbutton flip up and then rebutton. At the end of the day I left the collar imbotton to make the next time easier.