Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beard trimmer recommendations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Barber here...

Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I'm looking to replace my beard trimmer. Currently using a Philips Norelco, and I've been somewhat satisfied with it, but not thrilled. Just doesn't seem that powerful and get jammed up a fair amount. I wouldn't be against buying another to replace this one, but would be interested in others experiences.

I generally keep my beard quite closely trimmed (setting 5) and do it every 3 days or so.
    As a professional Barber I get asked this question a lot. I often just order trimmers for my clients to meet their needs. The trimmers I recommend the most often are these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...5567&s=gateway) You don't have to purchase them from Amazon, it's just the site I use to track the majority of my business purchases.

The reason I recommend these is because of the size of the trimmers and the quality of the product. They are small enough that you can clean up some very sensitive areas easily. Wahl makes some of the best clipper products around, I use them everyday in the barbershop. I do NOT recommend any of the brands you find in grocery stores. Phillips and Norelco, etc. Those things are made to break so you have to go buy new ones.

Now to the more important note I'd like to make; Clipper Care. I sanitize and oil my clippers multiple times a day and I've got clippers that are over 10 years old and still working like Day 1. When you are finished cutting your hair, you must brush all the hair out of the blades and apply oil. One drop is sufficient, run the machine for a moment and put it away. Moisture will accumulate on the blades otherwise and begin corroding them, thus making the trimmer have to work harder and burn out faster, costing you money in the long run. Simple upkeep will keep your clippers in good condition for years.

A man's beard is the thickest hair on the human body, so go slow and let your trimmers do the work. If you are looking for a good electric shaver I recommend these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...s%2C213&sr=8-3) Do note however that your hair needs to be short for these to work properly. Manufacturer recommendation is 1/32 of an inch, so after you use your trimmer you use the shaver. Blow it out with canned air to prevent the hair debris from gathering moisture and causing corrosion.

Hope this helps,
    Your friendly neighborhood Barber

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I have some Wahl clippers that have been great for the past 10 years with minimal care. So I vouche for their durability and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjarex1 View Post
    If you are looking for a good electric shaver I recommend these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...s%2C213&sr=8-3)
    What’s your experience using this on thick beards, say on a middle eastern gent? I have been disappointed by every electric shaver i’ve tried which makes me skeptical. I know it won’t get close as a razor but will it leave me looking like I haven’t shaved in 2 days?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    430 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    It comes with the 1mm comb. 1mm looks like short stubble.

Three months is about right for blade replacement.

I would also recommend taking the blades off and storing separately while travelling as the plastic attachment part is not very durable. Of blades I've replaced, two have been because the plastic attachment piece broke.
    I just ordered the entry-level version. Thanks. I'll post an update here if the OP or anyone else is interested.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I think the best by far is the clippers you will see at the barber shop that plug in - Wahl or whatever brand you want. You cant beat them. The plug in, they are sturdy, and with the different clips you can do a lot to your hair, your beard even your eye brows.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    @Ninjarex1 thanks for that info. Is their a specific pil or brush you’d recommend?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I use the Wahl rechargeable. It's not as tough as the plug in ones, but it's worked great for me. Lasts forever on a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Stainles...gateway&sr=8-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've been using this for quite a while. The vacuum feature on it is quite nice. Granted, I keep a medium length beard and trim it once a week maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norel...y%2C155&sr=1-3

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    430 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I have been using OneBlade for a while and recommend it.

One tip is if you like smoothing between lengths of the 1mm and the 3mm combs, the 2mm comb is available on Amazon for $20. Sort of expensive for a piece of plastic, but worthwhile imo.

My only complaint is the blades cost $25 for a two pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I just ordered the entry-level version. Thanks. I'll post an update here if the OP or anyone else is interested.
    Follow up is that I like this quite a bit in that it does a good job of trimming down to stubble level. However, it does seem cheap and likely to not last a long time. At $35, I guess that's not horrible, but it looks like the blades need replacing at least a few times a year and they are about $10 each. I hate throwing things into a landfill. I will probably buy something else when it's time for a replacement if I know it's good.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Follow up is that I like this quite a bit in that it does a good job of trimming down to stubble level. However, it does seem cheap and likely to not last a long time. At $35, I guess that's not horrible, but it looks like the blades need replacing at least a few times a year and they are about $10 each. I hate throwing things into a landfill. I will probably buy something else when it's time for a replacement if I know it's good.
    Your expectations of the blades are correct as they do need replacing.

The unit itself holds up very well. I have travelled with it and even dropped it a number of times without issues. For me, it is more convenient to pack the OneBlade unit than a trimmer, a detail trimmer, and a shaver.