Thread: Uniqlo jeans - anyone have experience?

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)

Uniqlo jeans - anyone have experience?

The Thursday handful today mentions Uniqlo jeans. Anyone have any first hand experience with them? What's quality like? Sizing? etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I own a pair of their slim fit selvedge and I like those. The denim feels substantial and it also has a nice cut to it, especially they way it makes your butt look shapely. It is mid to low rise, so if you are a high rise denim guy, not your thing. The indigo is beautiful and even though they do not call it raw denim, I am starting to see the fades. I did not buy it for the fades, but for the way it felt - heavier than most of the other denim I own, which is not a lot (includes a Levis 511).

The only issue is that it shrank a bit after first wash. I think the waist is fine, but the legs do feel a bit more snug and I also felt the length reduced. Since I never hemmed the legs I am fine. I don't know if it will shrink again, as I have washed it only once so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The Uniqlo selvedge jeans were my favorite jeans when they still made them in straight cut. The fit, color, fabric weight and durability were great for the price. I haven't tried the slim cut, but I'd assume they're closer to a skinny fit judging by the dimensions of the straight fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    They have an actual skinny fit. I do tend to wear tailored (bonobos) and 484 (j crew) and the slim fit me well. I think I tried the skinny fit once and it killed me.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    Good to know. Seeing as they are on sale perhaps I'll give them a try.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    The Uniqlo Selvedge jeans are great. Been wearing them for years. Durable, fit great and a great price.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a few pairs (Uniqlo is everywhere here in Shanghai) and I can say that they have gotten much better over the years. First pair were indigo and high-stretch, and they have faded very little after many washes but they just don't really look like denim, and the waist and seat got loose after a few hours due to the elasticity though they are very comfy. So I swore off them for a bit, but gave Uniqlo a try again when they low-stretch indigo selve-edge came out. They are much better regarding traditional jeans-style fit, hold their shape for longer (I usually wear them 2-3 times between washes), and are very sturdy. So, when the jet-black selve-edge was on sale a couple months ago I grabbed a pair and they have become my new favorites. I also have a pair of the Gap stretch jeans and to compare the Uniqlo to them I would say Gap are slightly looser in the caboose region, but not significantly so. All my jeans are slim fit (white guy here, standard build 178lbs/80kg at 6' - not being racist, just saying that most jeans hear are a little tighter in the booty due to most asian physiques being a bit trimmer and because Uniqlo is Japanese and the jeans used to be very snug in the seat/thigh), since skinny does not accommodate my junk in the trunk and because I wear boots/chukkas almost every day (and I'm almost 40, so there's that...). And all are stretchy due to my job as a validation engineer who climbs over stuff everyday.

tldr; The selve-edge denim is great IMO, the high-stretch and "heat/cool-tech" "denim" is hot garbage. Also, I use too many parenthesis.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    I liked the weight, but the rise felt too low and there was little give. Mine didn't have stretch, though. I think I got them in 2015.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    604 Post(s)
    last few times i shopped uniqlo, they no longer offered the non stretch selvedge slim ones i loved so much. stretch only.

i've moved on to the target goodfellow&co ones, which are working out great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have a few pair of their selvedge slim straight, I think from around 2015 or so. I liked them a lot...until I tried BR's Rapid Movement and Chicago/Dearborn Denim. The stretch and movement is addictive and I reach for them more than my Uniqlo's now. Hard to go back to stiffer jeans with more comfy options available.