Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the one fashion item you hate that everyone else seems to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

What's the one fashion item you hate that everyone else seems to love?

This post is meant to be fun. Rules: 1. you can only pick one thing, and 2. no arguing about other people's choices (although feel free to agree with them). Again: this is meant to be fun.

For me, the winner is clear: CHELSEA BOOTS. Most bloggers I like + respect seem to recommend them or even love them. Lots of forum posters also love 'em. I think they are somehow both hideous and completely boring at the same, and can only recall one or two guys I've ever thought looked passable in them. The worst offenders are lighter shades in suede...they look like formless blobs, weirdly feminine (and I generally like unisex stuff), lacking in personality (no laces or cap toes or broguing or anything of interest except...elastic). I just...don't...get it.

You?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    Here's one to make you all scratch your heads: black capped toe oxfords. They're supposed to be formal, yet the cap disturbs the line of the shoes. I don't get it and don't like it. I much prefer plain toe oxfords (for example, AE Carlyle).

I have no issue with capped toe casual boots.

Feel free to argue with me / tell me I'm crazy. Come at me bros.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Cardigans.

Don't @ me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    pocket squares.

They are expensive for a literal square of fabric. Two modes of pocket squares: sunk back into pocket or wayyyyyy too much out. pain in the ass to fold. Sometimes they have to be ironed?!?!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    rolled up jeans / chinos. I dont care if they are 300 dollar selvage. I cant stand the look. This goes hand in hand with pants that are too short. No break. no less.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Here's one to make you all scratch your heads: black capped toe oxfords. They're supposed to be formal, yet the cap disturbs the line of the shoes. I don't get it and don't like it. I much prefer plain toe oxfords (for example, AE Carlyle).

I have no issue with capped toe casual boots.

Feel free to argue with me / tell me I'm crazy. Come at me bros.
    100%. Got married in my pair of Black AE Carlyles. Hate toe caps, mostly on black formals. More ok with them on casual shoes, but still not my favorite, ruins the lines.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Hate and fun in one post? LOL

My pet peeve is mostly related with the fit. Ignoring that, I'm still thinking... And oh, I'm trying to come up with one that forum members (instead of nondaper people) wear.

EDIT:
    Walnut Strand. In general it's just too loud. My first pair but it's gone now.
    Last edited by 3piece; February 26th, 2019 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Mid-calf socks with shorts and athletic shoes/sneakers. It looks ridiculous. Stop doing it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Skinny jeans and stretch jeans. I hate the "stacked" look some of the jeans make. I think it looks horrible and dowdy. Skinny jeans also feel like my nuts are being driven into my body the entire day, and I feel like I am endlessly fixing my junk. Anything stretch and I feel like, as it was awesomely put on the main page the other day, that I am wearing "rubber pants" haha.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Mid-calf socks with shorts and athletic shoes/sneakers. It looks ridiculous. Stop doing it.
    Presumably, unless doing something athletic? Or maybe I'm too old to even understand the referenced trend...