Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linen Suits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    So what I’m hearing is I need a tropical wool, and a linen (or preferably linen blend) suit! Sincerely appreciate all the responses. Sounds like a tropical blend/summer weight wool might be the most logical solution. But rarely is the most logical answer the most fun!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    You can also get wool suits that are unlined, so you remove that one extra layer and have that extra breathability.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    As you're really looking for breathability, lining (or lack thereof) and weave are more important than weight. Regarding material, I find linen blends (mixed with silk and cotton) look a lot better and are more comfortable than pure linen.

As for usefulness, that really depends upon your social calendar. I love wearing summer suits to dinner or a concert, especially if outdoors, but not everyone attends such things.

Regarding purchasing, cheap linen suits are terrible. They usually have a heavy lining and use cheap fabric that drapes poorly and wrinkles by looking at it. The Suitsupply Outlet usually has a very large selection of linen suits at good prices. Summing is coming up and you probably get one for this season, by the Outlet is a great source of quality occasional pieces that you don't want to purchase at full price.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried Hockerty? They have an option for unlined suits, and the rest is your standard MTM stuff.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    The J Crew unstructured cotton-linen (linen-cotton) suit seemed like a nice compromise between the linen's heat moderating, and a bit of wrinkle resistance from the cotton. I only wish I had talked myself into getting their brighter blue color when they had it last year.
    FWIW, I have two of these - they're reasonably priced and don't wrinkle too much compared to linen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    FWIW, I have two of these - they're reasonably priced and don't wrinkle too much compared to linen.
    These are on sale for $160 right now. IIRC they only carried the bluish-gray "deep water" and navy colors in the cotton-linen last year (light gray and others in the stretch cotton version). This year they have added a couple colors to the cotton-linen version, including light gray.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1403 Post(s)
    I might have given the S&M suits a try out that Joe mentioned on the main board this morning. However his warning about the lining has me thinking they might not be for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I might have given the S&M suits a try out that Joe mentioned on the main board this morning. However his warning about the lining has me thinking they might not be for me.
    I was thinking the same...may wait to see if they go on sale, but they are awfully tempting since the lining is Bemberg. I just picked up my first S&M suit earlier this year, and I am thus far, quite impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    The J Crew unstructured cotton-linen (linen-cotton) suit seemed like a nice compromise between the linen's heat moderating, and a bit of wrinkle resistance from the cotton. I only wish I had talked myself into getting their brighter blue color when they had it last year.
    I have.... 6 or 7 of those jackets/blazers... maybe 8. I started accreting them back before the full suit came out. So, I only have 2 of those. I wear them all the time, as I live in south Florida. They are not as breathable as the tropical wool unstructured bonobos jackets, but they're still pretty great. The cotton blend does make it less wrinkly, but you're still aware that there is, indeed, linen in the mix. As such, I'm note sure they'd be office appropriate on a client day... but perhaps on an only co-workers kind of day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    I have one. It's great in the heat because it's totally unlined, but it's very casual. Definitely don't get a lot of business use out of it, and to be honest, I usually break it up and pair the jacket with chinos for a summer casual out on the town look.