Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your desert island - or arctic circle - pair of shoes?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1315 Post(s)

What is your desert island - or arctic circle - pair of shoes?

Over on a another, we are talking about what got people in to fashion. Shoes are an overwhelming favourite.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask 'what if you could only have ONE pair of shoes'? What would they be?

For me, they'd be my pair of Merlot McAllisters. I can (and have) paired those shoes with suits, jeans, and chinos. Yes, I'd look mighty silly in the summer wearing socks, shorts, and McAllisters. And running a marathon would be out of the question. But still, McAllisters it is.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)
    I'd love to say my Shell Mcneils, but they're just not 'the' ones.

Probably my dark brown strands. They're kind of understated in a really loud and awesome way.

or maybe maybe my AE Kenwoods. I probably wear them a couple days a week.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Out of all the shoes I own, I'd go with my dark brown Jack Erwin Chelsea boots. They aren't my favorite shoes by any stretch, but I think they are the most versatile and comfortable. I can wear them with just about anything from jeans or suits and I can walk in them for miles. And they have rubber soles which make them decent in the rain and I'm guessing the snow as well. I don't wear shorts much, so that's not a worry.

Second place would probably go to my oxblood Allen Edmonds McNeils. They ARE one of my favorites, are almost as versatile, and almost as comfortable as the Jack Erwin boots. They wouldn't be as good in the rain and snow, perhaps.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    If I was stranded on a desert Island, then definitely my Sperry’s. It seems weird to me to wear dress shoes with my tattered clothing on the island .

If I had to go down to one pair of shoes to wear for almost every occasion , it would be my AE brown shell Patriots. I can wear them with a sport coat and slacks, chinos, jeans, and even sockless with shorts (uber preppy look).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'd probably go with my brown JC Penney Stafford cap toe boots. They're the most comfortable of my dressier boots and the most versatile. Oddly, though, I never, ever wore brown shoes (outside of skate-style tennis shoes) until I was in my late 30s. Used to always be some form of black combat or dress boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    421 Post(s)
    Only one pair of shoes? To me you’d be silly to say anything but simple tennis shoes. My Nike frees work with shirts, jeans, chinos etc. they functionaly would meet any outdoors needs within reason. I’d cringe wearing them with dress stuff like wool trousers or a suit but it could cross into that urban look. Which I think is much easier to pull off than the dad wearing dress shoes with all looks aka jeans and shorts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I would probably go with Dalton's in walnut. I feel like that can be paired with the most outfits and be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Out of all the shoes I own, I'd go with my dark brown Jack Erwin Chelsea boots. They aren't my favorite shoes by any stretch, but I think they are the most versatile and comfortable. I can wear them with just about anything from jeans or suits and I can walk in them for miles. And they have rubber soles which make them decent in the rain and I'm guessing the snow as well. I don't wear shorts much, so that's not a worry.

Second place would probably go to my oxblood Allen Edmonds McNeils. They ARE one of my favorites, are almost as versatile, and almost as comfortable as the Jack Erwin boots. They wouldn't be as good in the rain and snow, perhaps.
    Which ones did you get? These https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...=5505158643727 ?

I got these when they had big sale a couple months ago and really like them https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...=5505155432463

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexd3 View Post
    I would probably go with Dalton's in walnut. I feel like that can be paired with the most outfits and be ok.

Which ones did you get? These https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...=5505158643727 ?

I got these when they had big sale a couple months ago and really like them https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...=5505155432463
    If I had a pair of Dalton's, I'd probably go with those. But in oxblood.

That is the style I purchased, but in leather, not suede. So, not as dark.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1007 Post(s)
    If I am only allowed 1 pair of shoes I would go with my Brooks Ghost 11 running shoes in all black. I can't go without running in my life.

If I exclude workout shoes, I would probably go with my Dalton's and sub out the double leather sole for Dainite.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Only one pair of shoes? To me you’d be silly to say anything but simple tennis shoes. My Nike frees work with shirts, jeans, chinos etc. they functionaly would meet any outdoors needs within reason. I’d cringe wearing them with dress stuff like wool trousers or a suit but it could cross into that urban look. Which I think is much easier to pull off than the dad wearing dress shoes with all looks aka jeans and shorts.
    This. Assuming the objective is to truly have one pair of shoes for everything, I'd say black/charcoal Allbirds wool loungers. They are nearly as functional as simple sneakers, and are more easily passable in dressy situations.