Thread: Did your parents dress you dappered or do you dress your kids dappered?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)

Did your parents dress you dappered or do you dress your kids dappered?

I am curious based on the what got you into dressing nicer thread, did your parents spend a lot of money on your clothes or influence your dress for being more dappered of put together?

And then a follow up if you have kids do you prioritize their dress more or less based on what you’ve learned?

For example my mother never prioritized clothes. She would take us to old navy, wear items sized one or two sizes too big since we’d grow in to it and in general never really had expensive nice clothes but did get the nice sneakers that kids wanted like my Deion Sanders shoes haha. I think that influenced my dress today as I search for deals and try to not spend a ton, in my mind on clothes. Parents let us pick our style or lack there of. My dad wore suits but they are the department store poor fitting ones.

I wonder as my son grows up will I feel differently? Will I try to influence his dress? Will I be ok spending more on his dress since I see the value in good fit or quality?

What about you?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    I didn't get influenced by my parents at all. My mom has good taste in her clothes. She goes for classic and classy looks. I'd say she's a typical mom who's a bit into fashion, but not so much that she's a shopaholic. My dad is also the typical dad with the phone belt clips and dad sneakers and all.

My mom used to buy me clothes growing up which were ok, but oversized as she knew that's what I wanted, and I had no idea about color coordination. My first style influence was a cool bad guy in a movie that my mom and sister said was quite handsome, and that was a time when I was constantly talking to a girl who said she really liked guys who knew how to dress well. So I transitioned to fitted t-shirts coz that's when I started getting into shape, then slowly into non-baggy 90's hip-hop pants and thought my style was ok then, until years later a female friend mentioned how she liked a certain guy's style, and me and a guy friend then probed on what she meant. She explained a bit more and critiqued me as an example of bad color coordination. So I started researching and going on many different sites. It got to a point where I read something about style everyday and was constantly learning for about 2 years.

If I have a son, I'll slowly teach him the principles of style as he grows up but still allow him to make his own decisions.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    My dad was a physician and a life-long churchgoer, so we always wore suits and ties to church. My dad always had an extensive collection of suit and ties, so I picked up a love of clothing from him.

Sadly, I don't have many opportunities to wear tailored clothing. My job and home town (Seattle) means that on most days anything more than a casual blazer would be overkill. On the other hand, the nearly-year-round cool weather means that I'm usually in a jacket of some sort, so I've put a lot of time and effort into acquiring interesting pieces of outerwear.

I didn't grow up with a great concern for price and value...but I married someone who does. LOL. So I'm an avid thrift store shopper.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    307 Post(s)
    My dad wore a suit to work everyday, I believe, but I was never into it--didn't really see the appeal. I dressed like mainstream. For the longest time I saw a suit as what people wore to look more formal. And then five years ago I saw the aesthetic value of tailored clothing. How did that happen? One or combo of these: age, experience, picking up photography, cello, classical music, first MTM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    967 Post(s)
    I grew up without much money. I was far from dappered. I didnt really get into the dappered scene until I found myself unexpectedly single in my 30s. Not so much to find a new mate but more because I had the freedom to spend (almost) all my money the way I saw fit lol.

I have girls but I dressed them well until they started getting picky. We still talk about fit, versatility, color families, and whats appropriate for what situation. I have also always allowed my kids to have influence in what they wear and dont make them stick to particular gender norms. Nothing extreme but with girls, stores try to force the pink/purple/sparkles vibe on everything. We have deviated into the boys sections to find primary colors or fits that weren't more adult than they should be for the age (IMO).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    My mom bought what she felt was appropriate for me to wear as a kid (i.e. she didn't want me doing the sagging or super huge pants, or the goth/metal thing), but I wouldn't say it was anywhere near dappered style.

With my son, I try to steer him toward some stuff from Uniqlo, but he picks his own style. It's just typical kid style, too -- lots of hoodies, basketball shorts and graphic tee's. He thinks I'm ridiculous for loving shoes as much as I do. Yet, this from a kid who has already owned more Vans, Adidas and Nike shoes than I did in my entire childhood/teenage years.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    My dad wore a suit to work everyday, I believe, but I was never into it--didn't really see the appeal. I dressed like mainstream. For the longest time I saw a suit as what people wore to look more formal. And then five years ago I saw the aesthetic value of tailored clothing. How did that happen? One or combo of these: age, experience, picking up photography, cello, classical music, first MTM.
    I am worried about the MTM bug if I ever go that route.

As for me, my parents let me pick out what I wore but she picked the stores. Money was tight until I got a paper route at 12 so shoes were from Payless and everything else from Kohl's. I remember having a pair of shoes where the sole was peeling off and we cemented it back for a few more months wear. As I got older, I dressed more punk. My dad always wore denim pants and a flannel shirt or tshirt. He was pretty blue collar. My mom worked in an office but nothing fancy.

My kids are currently 1 and 3 so we buy clothes from Old Navy or Target. I am getting my wife out of the routine of buying only sweat pants for our 3 year old because it makes picking good outfits out tough. As he gets older I will help steer him into worrying about fit and such but I didn't care until I was about 26.

My wife on the other hand had very fashionable parents so it is fun to talk style with them. They love high fashion and focus on brands while I am more #menswear and look for the things that are not run of the mill everyone knows about.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)
    My folks had (and continue to have) zero style interest. In fact whenever my folks come for a visit, my Mom is astounded at the number of pairs of shoes I own. She comments, many times, that one kid doesn't need that many pairs of shoes.

I even remember my mom making our clothes to save money. Those were definitely NOT stylish. Funny though, looking back at old family photos now to see what we were wearing...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    my parents were never at all into fashion or even dressing up. They typically wear oversized unstylish clothes daily.

I have two young children and i try to dress them age appropriate but with well fitting clothes. That is quite tough though to be honest without spending a bunch of money which i refuse to do on kids clothes. I just do my best with what is reasonably available.