Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: suggest me a suede chukka

  1. #1
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,377
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

    suggest me a suede chukka

    So probably my most-worn pair of shoes for the past couple years has been the inexpensive Nordstrom 1901 Barrett chukka in brown suede:





    This is the same shoe that was featured on the Dappered main site, but in a darker chocolate brown color.

    In fact, I have worn them so much that the tread on the rubber sole is almost completely worn down, and at some point in the foreseeable future I'm going to need to replace them.

    I'm looking for something in the same style but higher quality/resoleable. Specifically, something that is:

    • Suede
    • Chocolate brown
    • Sleek, suit-appropriate shape
    • Rubber sole with enough lug to wear on snow and ice



    Any recommendations? I am ok with spending a bit of money but am nervous about some of the more commonly-mentioned overseas brands that might be hard to try on for sizing or have expensive return shipping.
    Ben

  2. #2
    Varsity Member JayS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The I.E.
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I’m in market for similar. Kinda eyeing the Thursday Boots Scout. But following this thread to see what others say.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    May I ask why you'd like to step up in quality? I have some 1901 chukkas, and they cost about $65-$70 dollars. If you got 2 years of almost daily wear out of them, that is a very good value.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Somewhere in NJ
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I’m in market for similar. Kinda eyeing the Thursday Boots Scout. But following this thread to see what others say.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have three different pair of Thursday Scout Boots. I love them.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member JayS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The I.E.
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I have three different pair of Thursday Scout Boots. I love them.
    That is very good to know, thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,377
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post
    May I ask why you'd like to step up in quality? I have some 1901 chukkas, and they cost about $65-$70 dollars. If you got 2 years of almost daily wear out of them, that is a very good value.
    Yep, they are a good value. And they are not currently available from Nordstrom.
    Ben

  7. #7
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,377
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I’m in market for similar. Kinda eyeing the Thursday Boots Scout. But following this thread to see what others say.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    I have three different pair of Thursday Scout Boots. I love them.
    I glanced at the Scouts and they look all right but none of the colors are what I'm looking for. Their dark brown suede has a waxed/burnished look that is more casual than what I want, since I wear these shoes primarily with suits or other wool trousers.
    Ben

  8. #8
    Varsity Member JayS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The I.E.
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I glanced at the Scouts and they look all right but none of the colors are what I'm looking for. Their dark brown suede has a waxed/burnished look that is more casual than what I want, since I wear these shoes primarily with suits or other wool trousers.
    That makes sense. Their more casual look is a point in their favor for my needs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Yep, they are a good value. And they are not currently available from Nordstrom.
    That is a very good reason to look elsewhere.

    I picked up these from Amazon in 2017. I wouldn’t recommend them at their current price. I got them for about $85. If you put them on a wish list, the price is bound to drop.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01..._pd_title&th=1




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)
    Jack Erwin James chukka looks similar to me. Easy returns if they don't fit.

    https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...12411158265942

    I read somewhere JE offers a recrafting service, but I can't find it on the website.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •