Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaving

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Personally I have to take fewer passes on my neck or else I will get pretty bad razor burn. I think it's just because the skin is more sensitive. You'll figure out what works for you. It's just trial and error.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate the advice but I already purchased my starting supples. Ended up with a Merkur 34HD razor. Got an assortment/ variety pack of blades and am trying the Pacific Shaving caffeinated cream.

I tried my first wet shave today. Started with the Derby blades because I had read they were forgiving. I used a bowl and think tomorrow I will just try lathering directly on my face. Cut myself twice but it stopped bleeding on its own before I could apply anything to stop it.

I was satisfied with the shave as far as closeness. Even 12 hours later I had very little stubble grow back. Certainly a lot better then with my electric. The only issue is I am feeling a lot of irritation on my neck although it doesn't look red or irritated.

I washed my face with a charcoal face wash and today happened to be a day for my twice weekly exfoliating facial scrub, After the shave I continued with the rest of my AM routine which included toner and then moisturizer.
    Your issue is the Derby blades, they are terrible, I almost quit wet shaving thanks to them, they are great for peach fuzz.

Most important piece: Shower or hot towel soak your face prior to shaving

Feather or Kai, less passes and use only the weight of the razor, they cut through hair easy. Bic weren't bad either. I'm using Kai in a Rockwell with a 4 plate(1-6 with 6 being most agressive) and I don't seem to get any razor burn, and I'm lazy, try and get myself clean in 1 pass.

I'd just lather in your soap, I've gone that route now in the shower, getting a separate bowl out is more mess and I haven't had a hard time getting a good lather just using the soap. Keeping it from becoming a chore is key

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    yeah, I hate derby blades. feather is a little too sharp for me too. Some of thise depends on how aggressive your razor is too. I use an open comb razorock that is pretty aggressive. Get yourself a blad sampler pack from somewhere like maggards and try a bunch out. I went through maybe 12 blades before finding what I wanted.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1347 Post(s)
    I'll throw my hat in to the ring and rage against Derby blades. Definitely terrible.

I had been using Gillette Blue blades for the longest time and decided to try something different. So over to Gillette Yellow it is! So far, they don't seem as sharp as the blue ones. I think I need some more shaves with them though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the input. It is very much appreciated. @idvsego I di purchase a 100 blade sampler pack. I started with Derby because I had read they were the most forgiving. Live and learn.

I have spent the past several days growing out my beard as @paintflinger suggested to map the growth. That might have been part of the problem as the area under my jaw and neck actually grow on an angle from the chin towards the jaw. So when I shaved there the first pass was actually across the grain rather then with the grain as I had thought.

Today is the 2nd attempt. I think I will try the Astra SP as they seem to be more favorably reviewed.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    It is a process for sure. Be sure you use the blade a couple of times and once you get your beard mapped and your technique down, try them again. My favorites are the crystal from Isreal. The first shve is tough becue they are pretty sharp. Then they settle into a nice balance and I can use it several more times. And I thought I hated prsonn blue but it turns out I tried them when I was still bad at shaving lol.

I personally don't like face lathering because the extra friction is aggravating

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    It is a process for sure. Be sure you use the blade a couple of times and once you get your beard mapped and your technique down, try them again. My favorites are the crystal from Isreal. The first shve is tough becue they are pretty sharp. Then they settle into a nice balance and I can use it several more times. And I thought I hated prsonn blue but it turns out I tried them when I was still bad at shaving lol.

I personally don't like face lathering because the extra friction is aggravating

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    A process for sure. So I learned that I wouldn't up with a better lather if I face lathered a little and then just squeezed it out of the brush. A little messy but it worked. The Astra SP gave a good shave but I had to make 4 passes to get everything. More cuts but no razor burn.