Thread: Shaving

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Shaving

Morning Gentlemen:

For the past 20 years I have been using various versions of the Norelco electric rotary shaver. Prior to that I used a safety razor. I believe at the time I switched for convenience and the time I saved.

Fast forward to today and unfortunately my current electric is no longer doing a sufficient job. I believe it is mostly due to the fact that while I have not aged at all in the past 20 years, alas, my skin has. I'm having a hard time getting the creases in my neck especially.

My first solution will be to change the blades but I don't think that will totally solve the problem.

Anyone here make the switch back, (or to) safety razors? As I am happily retired, the time savings is no longer an issue.

Any personal experience? Pros/cons?

Thanks as always for your help.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    I've been shaving with a safety razor for a number of years now. Yes it takes a bit longer than using your standard Gillette Mach 10. But I don't mind spending the time. The cost of blades is next to nothing and for me it is just quality time in the morning before work.

Plus I liked to experiment with different razor blades, soaps, etc. If time savings isn't an issue, I'd suggest going back to the safety razor. Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Lucky you, my beard is too thick to use an electric. Tried years ago and they never really got close and would pull at my whiskers. If I had the time to make shaving a ritual, I’d go safety razor. I don’t have the time, so Gillette Mach whatever for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've been using safety razor for 6 months now. Works great for me so far. A classic Merker 34C, some soap from Classic Shaving, and a nice synthetic brush make for a real nice shave. I read the zillions of threads about this stuff and went with those... seems to be a nice set up.

I find the difference in time is actually the shaving soap in lieu of cream from a can... which for me seemed to be the biggest factor to a much better shave anyway!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I switched to a safety razor a couple of years ago and it has been great. I am currently growing a beard but I still use my safety razor for my neck.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I've tried shaving with just about everything there is - DE safety razor, straight razor, injector razor, nice cartridge razors, crappy cartridge razors, electric, you name it.

I have skin that's sensitive and prone to razor burn/bleeding and fairly ordinary beard texture/thickness that grows at an angle that makes it tricky to shave in spots, like around the jaw.

Normal electric razors never worked for me but somewhat recently I discovered the Phillips Oneblade. That works great for me, wet or dry. Once I've got most of the hair off with that I can do a quick, light once-over with a standard cartridge razor just to clean things up, since the Oneblade misses some finer hairs. I get no razor burn with this method.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I'm going to try the safety razor. I like the ritual involved as well.

I'm going to start with the Merkur 34c for a razor.

I'd prefer to use a synthetic brush and am looking at some made by RazoRock.

Any suggestions on brush, shaving cream, bowl, blades and any other accessories I may need as well as places to buy them.

And the same for pre shave oil. I'm thinking I don't need a post shave balm since I am going to be using moisturizer anyway.

I prefer to keep away from product with parabens, sulfates and keep it as "natural" as possible.

Thanks again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Any suggestions on brush, shaving cream, bowl, blades and any other accessories I may need as well as places to buy them.

And the same for pre shave oil. I'm thinking I don't need a post shave balm since I am going to be using moisturizer anyway.

I prefer to keep away from product with parabens, sulfates and keep it as "natural" as possible.

Thanks again.
    Take a look at Stirling Soap Company - https://www.stirlingsoap.com/. Lots of different options with pre-shave oils, soaps. A few brushes. Stirling also has some pretty easy to work with sample options, so you can try a bunch of stuff until you arrive at what you want without spending a ton of money.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Morning Gentlemen:

For the past 20 years I have been using various versions of the Norelco electric rotary shaver. Prior to that I used a safety razor. I believe at the time I switched for convenience and the time I saved.

Fast forward to today and unfortunately my current electric is no longer doing a sufficient job. I believe it is mostly due to the fact that while I have not aged at all in the past 20 years, alas, my skin has. I'm having a hard time getting the creases in my neck especially.

My first solution will be to change the blades but I don't think that will totally solve the problem.

Anyone here make the switch back, (or to) safety razors? As I am happily retired, the time savings is no longer an issue.

Any personal experience? Pros/cons?

Thanks as always for your help.

Thanks again.
    I missed your post on the first go around.

My recommendations after spending many years and money on wetshaving:

Razor - My preference is for straights, but if you want to stick with a DE type shaver, the options nowadays are limited to how much you want to spend. Paradigm and Wolfman razors are quite beautiful, but expensive and with long wait times. I prefer my razorock mamba or razorock hawk, if you want to go with an artist club style blade (longer edge that is stiffer, angle is easier to find).

Brush - You mentioned that you are looking at a Razorock synthetic. In my experience, the Silvertip fiber option from razorock is their best offering:
    https://www.italianbarber.com/produc...-shaving-brush

There are other soft synthetics though, such as APShaveCo who offers the cashmere and smoke knots. Just remember that when lathering with a shave brush, you should not be mashing the knot into your face. Your supposed to be trying to only use the tips of the brush. Slight bending is totally fine. Too many videos out there of "experts" mashing the knots into the bowl or their face/palm.

Blades - For easily available blades, I like Polsilvers for their sharpness/smoothness. They are a bit pricey though. Plenty of people happily shave with ASTRA Sp's.

Soap/Cream - You state cream in your post. I personally prefer soaps, but there are some good cream options out there. You've got the italian classics like XPEC or Aqua di Parma. There's also stuff like Stone Cottage Soap Works, Meißner tremonia, or Baum.be. As far as soaps go, the top three right now are: Grooming Department, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Premium, and Tallow & Steel. Plenty of other options that are almost as good, but those are the best of the best.

Pre-shave - I don't typically use anything. The key to good shave prep is not an oil, it's fully hydrating the beard hairs with water. Typically this means holding your face under the shower/splashing with water/holding a towel on your face for at least 2 minutes. In addition, provided your lather is fully hydrated, you can let it sit on your face as well for extra hydration. Finally, pre-shave oil. If you do use it, you only need 2-3 drops for your whole face. The oil is not meant to add slickness or significant protection. It's meant to condition your skin under the beard to help reduce extra exfoliation/abrasion. The one pre-shave I do own is produced by Grooming Department. It is a fantastic product.

Post-shave - I personally don't use anything unless I feel like I want to wear a certain aftershave for scent. With the soaps, creams identified, there should be no need for anything.

Misc - I despise bowl lathering, so I won't make any recommendations there. I also don't use any razor stands in the bathroom.

Also, a couple of pieces of advice:
    1. Your pores do not open or close, despite the dappered post today stating this. Please ignore anything that references this and then states a reason for doing it.
    2. You should try to map your beard so that you know if you are shaving with the grain WTG, across the grain XTG, or against the grain ATG. I personally go WTG then ATG. Some people do WTG, XTG, XTG, and ATG. Just comes down to the person. Beard mapping should be done with 3-4 days of growth (long whiskers).
    3. Hydration is THE most important thing imo. You can have really bad technique/lather and the hydrated whiskers will help you to limit the damage.
    4. Hot towels are not necessary. Cold water shaving is effective and popular. I personally split the two and just use warm water because it is comfortable (cold water is cold) and not liable to introduce irritation like hot water.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    I missed your post on the first go around.

My recommendations after spending many years and money on wetshaving:

Razor - My preference is for straights, but if you want to stick with a DE type shaver, the options nowadays are limited to how much you want to spend. Paradigm and Wolfman razors are quite beautiful, but expensive and with long wait times. I prefer my razorock mamba or razorock hawk, if you want to go with an artist club style blade (longer edge that is stiffer, angle is easier to find).

Brush - You mentioned that you are looking at a Razorock synthetic. In my experience, the Silvertip fiber option from razorock is their best offering:
    https://www.italianbarber.com/produc...-shaving-brush

There are other soft synthetics though, such as APShaveCo who offers the cashmere and smoke knots. Just remember that when lathering with a shave brush, you should not be mashing the knot into your face. Your supposed to be trying to only use the tips of the brush. Slight bending is totally fine. Too many videos out there of "experts" mashing the knots into the bowl or their face/palm.

Blades - For easily available blades, I like Polsilvers for their sharpness/smoothness. They are a bit pricey though. Plenty of people happily shave with ASTRA Sp's.

Soap/Cream - You state cream in your post. I personally prefer soaps, but there are some good cream options out there. You've got the italian classics like XPEC or Aqua di Parma. There's also stuff like Stone Cottage Soap Works, Meißner tremonia, or Baum.be. As far as soaps go, the top three right now are: Grooming Department, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Premium, and Tallow & Steel. Plenty of other options that are almost as good, but those are the best of the best.

Pre-shave - I don't typically use anything. The key to good shave prep is not an oil, it's fully hydrating the beard hairs with water. Typically this means holding your face under the shower/splashing with water/holding a towel on your face for at least 2 minutes. In addition, provided your lather is fully hydrated, you can let it sit on your face as well for extra hydration. Finally, pre-shave oil. If you do use it, you only need 2-3 drops for your whole face. The oil is not meant to add slickness or significant protection. It's meant to condition your skin under the beard to help reduce extra exfoliation/abrasion. The one pre-shave I do own is produced by Grooming Department. It is a fantastic product.

Post-shave - I personally don't use anything unless I feel like I want to wear a certain aftershave for scent. With the soaps, creams identified, there should be no need for anything.

Misc - I despise bowl lathering, so I won't make any recommendations there. I also don't use any razor stands in the bathroom.

Also, a couple of pieces of advice:
    1. Your pores do not open or close, despite the dappered post today stating this. Please ignore anything that references this and then states a reason for doing it.
    2. You should try to map your beard so that you know if you are shaving with the grain WTG, across the grain XTG, or against the grain ATG. I personally go WTG then ATG. Some people do WTG, XTG, XTG, and ATG. Just comes down to the person. Beard mapping should be done with 3-4 days of growth (long whiskers).
    3. Hydration is THE most important thing imo. You can have really bad technique/lather and the hydrated whiskers will help you to limit the damage.
    4. Hot towels are not necessary. Cold water shaving is effective and popular. I personally split the two and just use warm water because it is comfortable (cold water is cold) and not liable to introduce irritation like hot water.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate the advice but I already purchased my starting supples. Ended up with a Merkur 34HD razor. Got an assortment/ variety pack of blades and am trying the Pacific Shaving caffeinated cream.

I tried my first wet shave today. Started with the Derby blades because I had read they were forgiving. I used a bowl and think tomorrow I will just try lathering directly on my face. Cut myself twice but it stopped bleeding on its own before I could apply anything to stop it.

I was satisfied with the shave as far as closeness. Even 12 hours later I had very little stubble grow back. Certainly a lot better then with my electric. The only issue is I am feeling a lot of irritation on my neck although it doesn't look red or irritated.

I washed my face with a charcoal face wash and today happened to be a day for my twice weekly exfoliating facial scrub, After the shave I continued with the rest of my AM routine which included toner and then moisturizer.