Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Dressy Casual”?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    It depends on the crowd and it depends on what part of Dallas you are in. If it’s in the burbs, you could see dad jeans and tech polos. In the city, full suit no tie. You will definitely see cowboy boots. Some will look surprisingly good with Dressy Casual. I think nice pants, sport coat, with no tie is your safest bet. Dark wash jeans and a sport coat would be second.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    954 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatshoes&bowties View Post
    Long time reader and used to be active on the forums years ago but forgot those login details...

I have a upcoming wedding to attend in Texas (outside Dallas) that’s listed as being dressy casual. What are people’s thoughts on what this means? The ceremony is outside (4:30) with a indoor reception. I was thinking blazer and no tie?
    Bringing the blog back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    It depends on the crowd and it depends on what part of Dallas you are in. If it’s in the burbs, you could see dad jeans and tech polos. In the city, full suit no tie. You will definitely see cowboy boots. Some will look surprisingly good with Dressy Casual. I think nice pants, sport coat, with no tie is your safest bet. Dark wash jeans and a sport coat would be second.
    I second this. Also depends a lot on the weather (Dallas has been in the 60s and 70s the past few days as a high, but then randomly we'll drop to the 30s). If you're in the Park Cities (University Park or Highland Park) or uptown you'll see a more dressed-up crowd -- slacks or nice chinos, button-up shirt, sport coat. Suburbs will generally be more casual -- sport coat over a t-shirt, henley or polo with chinos or dark jeans. No tie in either case. Also, since Dressy Casual has no real meaning you'll probably have some people wearing jeans and a short-sleeve shirt (if the weather is nice), and others wearing a suit and tie. Shoot for somewhere in between and you'll be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Blazer and no tie would seem to work well. You could get creative with your shoes. I think it's unfortunate, but ties are becoming anachronistic for all but the most formal occasions and certain businesses. I've been wearing pocket squares lately when I want to flash a little color and a tie is too formal.

Depending on the cut, I might choose a suit without a tie, but a blazer is probably better.

Keep in mind that given a dress code of "dressy casual," you will likely be seeing some men show up in jeans and polo shirts.
    Much as I love nice clothes, I cry not a single tear for the plight of ties. They are not comfortable. Suits are comfortable. Dress trousers and dress shirts are comfortable. Sport coats are comfortable. Waistcoats are comfortable. Dress shoes are comfortable. Ties? Nope.

If I'm not going to wear a tie, I wear a pocket square. Helps set you apart a little.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Much as I love nice clothes, I cry not a single tear for the plight of ties. They are not comfortable. Suits are comfortable. Dress trousers and dress shirts are comfortable. Sport coats are comfortable. Waistcoats are comfortable. Dress shoes are comfortable. Ties? Nope.

If I'm not going to wear a tie, I wear a pocket square. Helps set you apart a little.
    What about the tie makes it uncomfortable? I'm curious. I've never had a tie be uncomfortable ... to me when I first started dressing up or when friends complain ties are uncomfortable it's usually that their neck sizing on their shirt is off so it's too tight. A tie is just there, a minor inconvenience when going to the bathroom or eating but I've never found them uncomfortable because they don't impact comfort to me.

Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1942 Post(s)
    ^ Agreed, if your “tie” is uncomfortable the more likely culprit is that your shirts are too small in the neck. In order to be fully tightened, a tie never needs to be any tighter against the neck than the shirt collar itself.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    ^ Agreed, if your “tie” is uncomfortable the more likely culprit is that your shirts are too small in the neck. In order to be fully tightened, a tie never needs to be any tighter against the neck than the shirt collar itself.
    I just don't find a closed neck comfortable, even if the collar is too wide for my neck.