Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overrated or Underrated shoe brands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Look up from your post--there it is.
    Ha, that's what I get for skimming. Still, they don't get a ton of attention in these parts, when there are plenty of their designs that fit right in with the go-to styles for Dappered readers.

Mine were somewhere around $150. When the leather soles wore out, I had them replaced with more durable but discreet rubber sole with tread. They still look great, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Carlos Santos - Recommend. Great bang for buck, higher quality than AE and better looking designs. One of the few entry level makers that does a lazyman design (which is awesome). Haven't fully wrapped my head around the various lines that Carlos Santos produces (avoid the saks off fifth ones, everything from skoak is great).

Just curious, why avoid the saks ones?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnandCoughlin View Post
    Carlos Santos - Recommend. Great bang for buck, higher quality than AE and better looking designs. One of the few entry level makers that does a lazyman design (which is awesome). Haven't fully wrapped my head around the various lines that Carlos Santos produces (avoid the saks off fifth ones, everything from skoak is great).

I've read mixed things on this. Some say the Saks shoes are the same quality as mainline while I've read other comments saying that they're a lesser quality shoe made for the discount store. I've never seen a Saks version to be able to compare. As @Token said, my Skoak ones are great (and relatively inexpensive at something around $250).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnandCoughlin View Post

@Banks mentioned this already, but I think that the ones made for Saks off fifth are lower quality. I got a pair of captoes from there: the last was ugly and the leather quality was noticeably worse. I know CS does manufacturing for some other labels so I wouldn't be surprised if they offered different quality products.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    346 Post(s)
    @srlclark

My avoid for Red Wing is based on my personal opinion / preferences. Comes down to looks, comfort and quality. I don't like the look of the boots (had a pair of Beckmans which I sold), I get that it's meant to be a more casual boot but the toe shape is really blocky which I don't like. I much prefer the look of Alden or Viberg where it's still a casual style but a bit more refined compared to RW. Breaking them in is tough and I didn't think the quality was all that good either. For $150-200 I think it's fine to good if you like the aesthetic, but personally even at $50 I'd never reach for them so it's a waste of money for me.

Yeah I consider Carmina part of the mid tier. Overall I'd probably recommend. At retail they're way better than AE (unless you need the size variety that AE offers), better quality, designs, lasts, etc. They also offer a bunch of shell cordovan colors.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    I amend my earlier post:

Allen Edmonds: Underrated at $146

I just received a pair of Acheson suede loafers. I combined the 30% off with the 15% off for being a “collector”. Total: $146 with taxes. They are spotless. The suede is fantastic. I chose the olive suede, which is a bit out there for some, but the snuff suede is still in stock. Beautiful shoes!

Pics coming soon

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I amend my earlier post:

Allen Edmonds: Underrated at $146

I just received a pair of Acheson suede loafers. I combined the 30% off with the 15% off for being a “collector”. Total: $146 with taxes. They are spotless. The suede is fantastic. I chose the olive suede, which is a bit out there for some, but the snuff suede is still in stock. Beautiful shoes!

Pics coming soon
    Stop it! You're going to make me buy some of these! Maybe two pairs--one in blue and one in olive. Stop!
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    I hope you're happy. I resisted all day and then pulled the trigger on a blue pair. And I also got some of those clunky Tate wingtips to wear out to bars with black clothes. Jeez--for about $95, why not? I'm ruined. Yesterday was the first time in over 20 years that the 15th of the month rolled around I didn't get a pay check. And I'm buying shoes?!

I hope they are comfy for working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.