Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

Hair

**LOL i couldnt remember the word clay instead of gel and forgot to add it to my title**

I have shorter hair and like to spike it up. It takes more than a gel and more like a clay to keep it up. I started out using American Crew Fiber like everyone else and then switched over to Layrite Cement recently. I like the way the Layrite holds, the price, and how easily it washes out (never had a clay that wasnt easy but have heard that). The only thing i dont love is that at the very end of the day (night) it is kinda greasy. Anyone have any recomendations of things to try? Or do you like the Layrite and i should just stick with it?

This shot is a little from the side, but i like to spike the middle and keep it relatively short all around.

https://imgur.com/a/f4lVdOJ
    Last edited by neminat; February 8th, 2019 at 07:27 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    When my hair starts getting a little longer between cuts, I usually use Tresemme Mouse to keep it in line. I don’t spike mine up any, but it gives it a good bit of support. Maybe you could give it a shot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    I'm a Dapper Dan man myself.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    i prefer the messed up but cannot see product like gel. I like old spice clay green label. Key is to warm it up in your hands before applying for ~10-20 seconds.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Doesn't do spiky but I swear by American Crew forming cream (the stuff with the sage green label). Every once in a while I try something else just to see if there's something better out there, but I always wind up throwing out half the product and going back to the AC forming cream because I get tired of my hair looking so-so with the inferior product. Everyone's hair is different so I'm sure those products work OK for others but not for me. Latest failures were Suavecito pomade and Byrd matte pomade. The Byrd texturizing salt surfspray does perk up hair if it's slightly greasy - I tend to only wash my hair a couple times a week and that stuff does freshen it up between washes.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2027 Post(s)
    I bought a hairdryer a few months back and it has been a game-changer in terms of styling, even with very short hair. You can experiment with different methods but I find that towel drying my hair, applying product, and then styling my hair with my hands (for a more textured finish) or comb (for a smoother finish) and the hairdryer allows me to get my hair to stay where I want it while achieving a dry, natural look that doesn’t get flat or greasy-looking throughout the day. I’ve found that what product I use is almost irrelevant. (I’ve got a sea salt spray, a Cremo pomade, AC fiber, and AC forming cream. I alternate between them.)

If you want more of a wet look then this is probably not the method for you, but that’s also going to tend to cause your hairs to clump together in chunks and start to look a bit greasy, especially if you are touching your hair at all throughout the day.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Latest failures were Suavecito pomade and Byrd matte pomade.
    I forgot about suavacito. Hated that stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I highly recommend Magic Move. Can find it on amazon and they have 3 types depending on hair type. Not greasy at all and easily washes out. It may be a little more $ but it’s worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    I use a bit of gel in my hair and then give it a tussle. Just to spike it up some. I can't remember the name of the product at the moment, but it works quite well. A little goes a long way and a tub of the stuff lasts me a long while.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    I forgot about suavacito. Hated that stuff.
    What'd you hate about it? I use Suavecito Firme Hold and love it