Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair - how do you deal with it, or lack thereof?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Hair - how do you deal with it, or lack thereof?

This morning, I pulled a bit of hair out of my head while getting ready for work. It wasn't a big bunch, but at least a few times more than my usual amount.
    I have been stressed lately, and also been shedding hair more than usual.

I've always been one of those guys with thick wavy hair, although I have noticed some frontal thinning past a few years.

Even though I have been lucky with thick hair, I cannot grow facial hair to save my life, and I can already picture myself looking like a potato when I'm fully bald and clean shaven. But then, that probably isn't the best mindset to have for something that can't be helped, huh?

So that makes me wonder, since hair is such an important part of personal style, how do you guys wear it? And if you're balding, whether front and/or top, how do you deal with it?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    This morning, I pulled a bit of hair out of my head while getting ready for work. It wasn't a big bunch, but at least a few times more than my usual amount.
    I have been stressed lately, and also been shedding hair more than usual.

I've always been one of those guys with thick wavy hair, although I have noticed some frontal thinning past a few years.

Even though I have been lucky with thick hair, I cannot grow facial hair to save my life, and I can already picture myself looking like a potato when I'm fully bald and clean shaven. But then, that probably isn't the best mindset to have for something that can't be helped, huh?

So that makes me wonder, since hair is such an important part of personal style, how do you guys wear it? And if you're balding, whether front and/or top, how do you deal with it?
    Shave it.

You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    My hair started thinning at 18 so I decided to shave it off during the Super Bowl of 2004 and have not looked back. Mine thinned in the front and progressed its way back so I can grow hair in the lower back of my head and sides but nothing on top. I have went full shaved before but prefer trimmers with no guard as it does not nick my head. I tend to cut it every 2-3 weeks.

Some people say head shape matters but I feel like it is just something to get used to. Some heads look better than others but it is better than the guy combing a few hairs over that just won't let it go.

Lastly, I can grow facial hair so I shave twice a week and have stubble the rest of the time. A beard just bothers me when I sleep and sleep is a major priority in my life so I will let nothing get in its way.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    In my opinion...

there's only one dignified way- embrace the change, shave your head. get ahead of it.

anything else looks like you're trying too hard.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    I still have a full head of hair, but my Dad, Father in Law and Brother in Law all have typical male pattern baldness. They all shave it/trimmer it to one extent or the other. It really is the only was to do it. I prefer the 1/8 in look to razored, but I'm conservative.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    I have a widows peak and I dont really do anything special to deal with it. Like others said, whatever it is, embrace it. If I were balding I would go close cropped or shaved. I did start greying at like 19 and at 41 I am pretty much full grey ont he head. I have never tried to hide it.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    I’ve known some guys who can look good with thinning hair - but it takes a really, really good haircut, regularly maintained, and of course even a really good haircut isn’t going to “hide” the fact that their hair is thinning - you still have to be comfortable with it to a degree. This type of hairstyle usually involves going really short on the sides and using some kind of texturizing product to add a little volume on top.

The more dramatic, and in some ways easier way - and certainly the easiest way to avoid having to embrace or even acknowledge the thinning hair look - is just to go fully shaved as is suggested above. It will feel like a big change at first if you’ve had hair all your life but you and those around you will get used to it quickly.

I always think of my cousin, a few years older than I am, who had a full head of hair but then shaved it off completely in college and has gone fully shaved ever since. I know now he did it because his hair was thinning, but because he took control of the issue early on, it just looks like a deliberate style choice he has made and stuck with. Plus nobody will ever have pictures or memories of him as an awkwardly balding 20-something-year-old.

I shaved my head earlier this spring in part to check if I was balding - I think the way I wear my hair in the front just tends to expose a slight bit of scalp, since my hair in the front is usually pushed up and back while most of my other hair just lies flat. Turns out I am still in the clear but it was a good exercise just to try out the shaved look if I ever need to use it more regularly. I didn’t shave clear down to the skin but l went preeeeetty short and then shaved in a side part, which I thought looked badass TBH. I’ll post a pic when I get on a desktop.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    If you still have enough that you think you can keep it try to find out what pattern youre losing it in and search for celebrities with that same pattern for ideas.

When it started for me I created a folder and had pictures of Jude Law, Robert John Burke, some others, then Jason Statham was a "break glass in case of emergency."

The emergency stage came earlier than I thought, so I went full Statham a while ago and havent looked back. The good news about shaving it if you lose it early is youll basically look the same for 40 years. I mean look at Patrick Stewart.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I started thinning in college. In my case it wasn't just the temples receding. It was essentially the whole hairline falling back as well as thinning. I kept it tidy and got it easily to my liking in the mornings, but I'd notice often, by the end of the day, the remaining hairs would kind of group together on my head (as if huddling for warmth), leaving scalp showing. I eventually bit the bullet and took clippers to it, and I've never looked back. As I've lost more hair overtime I've used shorter and shorter guards. For the last few years I've been on no guard (so essentially the closest buzz you can get). I haven't gone full shave, largely because I've just developed such a good rhythm with my clipper routine and also I'm still cool with the look, but it might happen eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I took “the nuclear option” many years ago. A question for other Shorn Ones, though: what do you do for scalp care? I don’t want to end up with a scalp that frightens small children when I’m older (I already have my personality for that).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk