33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 84.85%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • I like turtles

2 6.06%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Add another one to the list. My teens and most of my 20's was various band shirts, jeans, and Etnies or similar. Eventually the Etnies became black Sambas because I don't really skate, but the rest of the uniform stayed intact. Started dressing better as I approached 30, first at the office as I worked toward finishing my MBA, and then at home as I realized that I simply felt better with a slightly better level of dress.

It's funny that shows get mentioned - I realized lately that I go to a lot of shows from bands I've listened to for 15-20 years, and when I go I'm surrounded by a lot of people who look like me - mid 30's, wearing well-fitting clothes, and still enjoying the hell out of seeing a band they love live. I actually felt young when I saw Face to Face recently.

What I think is going to be really fun is that I'm starting to think about getting back into the band scene - my last band split 7 years ago, and then I went to grad school and moved halfway across the country. I imagine that it'll be a bit like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused - I got older, the rest of the people playing in bands are the same age...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I think my taste has changed a lot but when I was in high school/early college I was the long haired metal kid who wore hawaiian shirts over a slayer t-shirt and played guitar in the hallways.

Good times.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Check out Twin Peaks, Parquet Courts, and Titus Andronicus (for starters). Good rock isn't dead it's just in hiding because nobody plays the good stuff on the radio anymore. Twin Peaks are kind of like an updated early-garage-rock era Rolling Stones - Sweet '17 is a collection of singles. Their only other full length album to date - Down in Heaven - is really good too. Their single "Under the Pines" is everything a rock song should be IMO. Parquet Courts sound a little like Gang of Four to me, but more sophisticated. Their latest - Wide Awake (available on Spotify) is excellent and Human Performance is pretty great too. Titus Andronicus is keeping punk's flame alive - they've been around for a while (2005) but never hit the mainstream. Their latest (A Productive Cough) got so-so reviews from music critics but all their other albums supposedly pretty great. I though Local Business and The Monitor (the only two I've listened to) are very good.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    I actually felt young when I saw Face to Face recently.
    Aw yeah Face to Face!! Going to listen to them right now!! Thanks for reminding me!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think the interesting parts of this thread are where guys have tried to find middle grounds between a dappered.com uniform and their roots in punk/metal/hc/etc.

I used to be a band t-shirt and jeans w/a studded belt everyday from age 16-22. Then a job happened. Then the rock "scene" receded (I don't want to say die, that's unfair to all the great bands still playing).

What I've found is that meets in the middle for me is reducing my wardrobe color pallet to a lot of black/white/light grey. I'm a freelancer who works in tech/media in a very casual dressed city, so I do a lot of blazers over t-shirts with some sneakers.

Find your own way I guess, no judgement here!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    I mostly gave up dressing the part around 2006-2007. At the time, pop-punk and emo bands were getting pretty big; converse, studded belts, etc were becoming fairly mainstream. I remember the day I decided to change I was walking through my hometown mall and saw a middle aged woman lacing up some boots made to look like converse all-stars. Came home and had an identity crisis.

Ultimately, I found dressing preppy to be a bit more subversive. Go-to-hell pants and pastel polos are hard to top in that regard. I feel there is also a bit of subversion in out-dressing 90% of other men.

Currently, I like the dichotomy of my look and how I can kind of hide under pant legs and preppy jackets then slip into a grindcore show after work wearing all black.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)
    So here's a question then. Back in high school/punk days, I wore a lot of jeans and T-shirts. At the same time there were the preps who dressed quiet well. Ralph Lauren Polo. Superbly cut hair. etc.

Now, it seems to me that because we met on this site, we're more in to dressing well than we were back in the day. It could be said that we upped out style game.

Do you think the preps from high school are STILL dressing well, or do you think they have moved on to some other look/style?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    616 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    h
    when we were in high school wearing something against the grain and specific to the subculture WAS dressing good. it was the thing to set me apart then, and it's the same now. i look great and i feel great, and set apart from others. i'm awesome and have to express that :-D

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Uniform from 1989-1995 was a metal t-shirt, jeans and Sambas. Overall wardrobe has upgraded significantly since then. I am big into boots and adidas the past several years, and now mix them in with an otherwise jeans-business-casual look allowed at the office. I have 20ish pairs of adidas casual/terrace shoes (mostly city series) in various colourways I like to spice up the attire with. Still rock Docs from time to time as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    More of an alternative rock/grunge kid from the 90s, but also into metal and punk at the time. I wore a lot of band t-shirts, baggy pants, flannel shirts and always the standard black Docs. Also had a phase where I wore the huge JNCO jeans, from 32 inch cuffs up to 54 inch cuffs, as well as a spiked dog collar and black nail polish. I got a number of piercings back then, including stretched lobes, septum and labret, that I still have to this day and never plan to get rid of.

I still wear a lot of concert t-shirts on the weekends when I dress more casual -- t-shirt/hoodie, traveler dark denim and Stan Smiths or other low-top tennis shoes. Only over the last few years, as I hit my late 30s and now early 40s, have I trended away from the more casual look of tshirt and cargo pants at work (I'm in IT and have always worked in environments where they don't have any dress code beyond no shorts/open-toed shoes). Now, I tend to wear denim/chinos and button-down shirts, lots of cardigans in the winter, henleys and polos. Lots of big upgrades in general, while also slimming down from wearing oversized XL stuff to more form-fitting L and sometimes M. Also, the Docs eventually turned from the standard plain docs to wingtipped ones, which garnered some compliments that inspired me to look at other boots (Stacy Adams, AE, chelseas, etc).

As for music, I still love the old alternative, grunge, metal and punk, but now I listen to a lot more alt.country/Americana along the lines of Lucero, Hayes Carll, Turnpike Troubadours and Hank III.