33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 84.85%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • I like turtles

2 6.06%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    For browsing new music, nothing beats Bandcamp. You can browse by subgenre, sub-subgenre, geographic location, etc and all the pages are band- or label-run so you can get some really obscure stuff, and they give you a daily Recommended feed that's usually pretty spot on. A decent chunk of the music is free too since the bands get to set their own pricing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 74vibrolux View Post
    Some of my favorite music! I have an eternal soft spot in my heart for late 70s punk/new wave and was blessed to live in a town with an amazing all ages club in high school. Got to see Fugazi, Jawbox, Green Day, Nuisance, Shudder to Think, etc etc etc. I totally didn't dress the part in 1990 and I still don't. But who says I can't wear a tweed blazer and put Steady Diet of Nothing on the turntable?
    Sounds like City Gardens in Trenton? The shows I saw there in the mid 80s as a misfit high school kid finding his tribe were hugely important to me.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    If you hit the browse section at the bottom, then choose genre it takes you to a well curated (IMO) page with banners for big new albums, below playlists and hot tracks are all new releases. Browsing through all the album covers kinda takes me back to the old record store days and I will add cool looking album covers or interesting band names. I listen through the day and keep what I like and delete what I dont. I love Fridays
    Ok you're gonna have to help me out here a bit. Where are you browsing from? On my iPhone, in the music app, I click on the For You icon. At bottom of the page I see the new released, but they are not categorized by music class. For example today the recommendation of a new release is Men At Work

But is this the section of my phone you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    For browsing new music, nothing beats Bandcamp. You can browse by subgenre, sub-subgenre, geographic location, etc and all the pages are band- or label-run so you can get some really obscure stuff, and they give you a daily Recommended feed that's usually pretty spot on. A decent chunk of the music is free too since the bands get to set their own pricing.
    Tell me more about Bandcamp. Do you need to subscribe to the service to browse new tunes? Is it a browser only tool or are you using this through an app?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Ok you're gonna have to help me out here a bit. Where are you browsing from? On my iPhone, in the music app, I click on the For You icon. At bottom of the page I see the new released, but they are not categorized by music class. For example today the recommendation of a new release is Men At Work

But is this the section of my phone you are referring to?

Tell me more about Bandcamp. Do you need to subscribe to the service to browse new tunes? Is it a browser only tool or are you using this through an app?
    Right next to For You is Browse. At the bottom it goes Library-For You-Browse-Radio-Search.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post

It's an app and a website, and you pay per release you buy (you can't buy music straight through the app though, kinda weird). So bands put their music up and set the number of free plays you get before it asks you to pay, or the bands can put their music up for "Name Your Own Price" which includes free if you just want to download it. If you just want to download stuff free you don't need an account, but if you make a free account you can buy music and then you get a library that you can stream from as much as you want, in addition to getting a download. You can also buy merch, vinyl, cassettes, etc. through the site if the band lists it on their page. An account also gets you a feed of recommendations which are usually pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Sounds like City Gardens in Trenton? The shows I saw there in the mid 80s as a misfit high school kid finding his tribe were hugely important to me.

Little Rock, Arkansas in fact. One of the best scenes ever. We ended up with this perfect storm of young people starting bands and being known as a welcoming community that would pack out shows. I'm amazed at what we ended up with and what people ended up doing. People from our scene ended up signed to Dischord records, touring the world members of Green Day, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists and all sorts of others. It was really magical.

And I definitely did not dress the part. HA!

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    Right next to For You is Browse. At the bottom it goes Library-For You-Browse-Radio-Search.
    Well what do you know? I just learned something today. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    It's an app and a website, and you pay per release you buy (you can't buy music straight through the app though, kinda weird). <snip> An account also gets you a feed of recommendations which are usually pretty good.
    Great. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to check it out. I know my Sonos system has a Bandcamp feed, which I've never used. If I have some free time this weekend I'll download the app and play around. And you're right. It is kind of strange you can't buy music straight through the app.