33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 84.85%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • I like turtles

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

Another post by @JBarwick got me thinking, and I wanted to confirm a suspicion I have had for a while. How many other posters on here are former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

I say former, but the only real thing I've changed is how I dress. I still listen to the same music, get tattoos, wear my plugs, and go to shows.

Edit: not to put you on blast JBarwick, but I kind of inferred you were by the tattoos and dickies comment. My apologies if I inferred incorrectly.
    Last edited by whereismurder; February 8th, 2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Quoted
    990 Post(s)
    I am fine with it. I am a former punk from the circa 2001-2007-ish years. I can't even recall the last show I went to as I know Sam Smith doesn't count. Back then it was Dickies, concert Ts, and Chucks. One thing I would not recommend is going to a full-time MBA program while trying to remain a punk. People don't take you serious and when the Great Recession hit, finding a job was quite tough.

As I mentioned in the other thread, my wife changed how I dressed and I like it. The only looks I get these days are when I am in my Lululemon running shorts and top and people see my leg tattoos. I haven't got one since 2007 and I just tell people it was a certain period of my life. I accept people change but a lot of people say they accept people changing but I do not know if I believe that.

I do keep a pair of red chucks in my closet but nothing resembles a concert T.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)
    Used to wear Vans chukka boots or Dr. Martens everyday growing up. I dress professionally now (OCBDs almost everyday - had no idea what they were grown up) but I still listen to (and occasionally go to concerts) of all my favorite punk bands (Bad Religion, NOFX, Lagwagon, Misfits, Social Distortion, No Use For a Name, Fugazi)
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1275 Post(s)
    Yup. Wore concert T shirts daily. Posters on the wall in my room. You name it. Kinda funny to be wearing a suit and tie now.

What hasn't changed though is my taste in music. Still the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Milo went to college and so did I.

I still wear black adidas sambas because when I was at a bar in my early 20s an old punk in a wheel chair complimented me on them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I never really dressed the part, but I've always been in to metal. In high school I was in to fairly obscure stuff (Visual Kei for the most part), but I was not nearly effeminate enough to go that route. Post college and I transitioned in to post rock and black metal. Still what I mainly listen to now. I go to the occasional show, but most of the bands I enjoy skip Milwaukee and going down to Chicago for a show during a week night is rough.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Listened to lots of punk and metal and ''dressed the part" from the mid 90s to the better part of the first decade of the new millennium. Lots of t-shirts, long baggy pants, hoodies, tattoos, piercings. hair colour, etc. I don't regret my past because it has made me who I am today but I am COMPLETELY over it and prefer to look forward than backward. I also used to heavy interest in the tattoo and piercing scene. Now, no interest in piercings at all and modest tattoos only. Don't really have future tat plans except for maybe one cover-up. All my piercings have been removed and I don't miss them.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I’ve listened to punk rock since my pre-teen days, starting with pop/skate punk and evolving to ‘77 era bands. I spent most of junior high in dickies and skate shoes and early high school in stretch jeans, band shirts, chucks, creepers, grinder boots, jean jackets and leathers. I think my appreciate for ‘style’ comes from those years. ‘77 era bands like the Clash and the Boys always looked sharp.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Listened to lots of metal and punk in HS and college but never dressed the part. Still like punk from time to time but the closest I get to metal these days is Deafheaven every few months. Now I'd rather listen to country, pop, or rap. Don't think I'd recognize my present self if I went back in time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    I listened to punk, new wave and metal in high school (1978-1981), didn't do piercings or tattoos but did the feauxhawk and blue hair stuff. Dressed either total slob or RPL preppy depending on which friends I was around. Got into rap around 1979 and was mostly done with it by 1989, never dressed like Run-DMC et al though. Was very into Seattle grunge but music didn't influence how I dressed then either. Currently I listen to very little music except on my commute, I haven't bought any new music in years.