33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 84.85%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • I like turtles

2 6.06%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Former punk/hardcore/metal kids?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I listened to punk, post-punk/new wave, and "alternative" in my youth but never really dressed the part aside from pegging my jeans and wearing Chuck Taylors. The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, the Smiths, Elvis Costello & the Attractions, Bauhaus, REM, etc. etc. etc. Granted the only of those that is truly punk is the Clash. Kind of lost touch with the scene when Grunge ate everything else in the early to mid 1990s. I didn't have an issue with the Grunge originators but they spawned so many bad imitators it got noxious.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I still listen to hard rock and heavy metal almost exclusively. Pretty much only wore black or band tees in high school. Went more a polo-prep style in college and prof school but still not well-dressed. Now I'd like to think I'm more well-dressed and most are very surprised to find my music preferences based on my appearance.

The biggest problem for me now is deciding what to wear to a concert or festival - trying to find a combo of sophisticated/polished yet while not looking out of place. Usually opt for a neutral color t-shirt and nicer jeans with good sneakers/boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post

I say former, but the only real thing I've changed is how I dress. I still listen to the same music, get tattoos, wear my plugs, and go to shows.
    Same, minus the plugs and probably a few less tatts.

There’s something satisfying about showing up to work in a suit + tie the night after diving into a mosh pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I got into metal in high school, we had a dress code but the second the last bell rung it was Slayer and Metallica shirts and studded belts for me and all my friends. I fronted a death metal band too for a little while, then went to a really preppy northeast college and threw out most of my band shirts and started dressing well and going on this site in the interest of fitting in. Senior year and then after graduating college when I had a really solid group of friends I got back into wearing the metal gear a little more, but now it's better fitting band shirts (raglans have been huge in the rotation) and no more studs, and only around people I know well or who also like metal. I actually brought some friends to their first metal show a few months ago, that was a cool feeling. Not sure where this puts me on the "poser" continuum, but I like to think it's the opposite of a poser, yeah?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallica81788 View Post
    The biggest problem for me now is deciding what to wear to a concert or festival - trying to find a combo of sophisticated/polished yet while not looking out of place.
    I have this issue as well. I'm 59, and while I've never been a category of anything, I hang at in a lot of different places, including dive bars and goth clubs. My standard uniform of a sports coat with a pocket square doesn't work well in most of these places.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metallica81788 View Post
    The biggest problem for me now is deciding what to wear to a concert or festival - trying to find a combo of sophisticated/polished yet while not looking out of place. Usually opt for a neutral color t-shirt and nicer jeans with good sneakers/boots.
    When in Rome.

At work, I tend towards tweed sport coats, OCBDs, and wingtip - or suits with texture like subtle checks when I need to be more elevated.

This is kind of a golden age for punk oldies acts - we’ve seen X, the Flesh Eaters, the Blasters, Fishbone, the English Beat, and others all in the last decade or so. When I go to those shows, I’m wearing a bomber jacket or M-65 or similar, t shirt, 501’s, and boots of some kind. That’s pretty much what I wore when I saw some of them before we were all old...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I have this issue as well. I'm 59, and while I've never been a category of anything, I hang at in a lot of different places, including dive bars and goth clubs. My standard uniform of a sports coat with a pocket square doesn't work well in most of these places.
    Update - actually went to a show last night. Went with dark jeans, dark brown chukkas, dark gray henley with an olive moleskin trucker jacket. Felt elevated for the crowd but not out of place and I liked it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I watched Wayne’s World yesterday. I kept wondering to myself what happened to that generation...like that and Brenden Frazier as a comedy actor generation. Where are you guys? I looked up to as a 1986 baby.

We should get a JNCO thread going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1275 Post(s)
    My god rock music today sucks. Maroon 5? Imagine Dragons? 21 Pilots. Gesh. I feel sorry for the kids now. Where are they to turn/look for a good music these days?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I knew it!