Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many shoes - anyone else have this problem?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I’ve found that it helps to keep a list of what I currently have, along with noting particular styles that I’d like to add in the future. I also try to avoid owning multiple shoes/boots in similar styles & colors. In my opinion, having to spend time on routine care for leather shoes is enough incentive to avoid having a bigger collection.

For dress shoes, I’ve got 9, though one is a black cap toe that I only wear for formal occasions. Of the remaining 8, some get more wear in spring/summer and others get more wear in fall/winter.

When I’m not in dress shoes I’m usually in sneakers in summer and boots in fall/winter/spring. I think I’ve got 3 or 4 sneakers and 7 or 8 boots, all different colors or styles. Add in two pairs of non-dress shoes, gym shoes, duck boots and insulated winter boots and I’m right around 25.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    I limit myself to only 12 pairs made up of:
    Black cap toes
    Brown brogues
    Black rubber chelseas
    Tan chelseas
    Black and brown chukkas
    Black and tan work boots
    Tan drivers
    Gray canvas sneakers
    White leather sneakers
    Flip-flops

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    I have 14 pairs I wear regularly and a few I never wear and have no more room for any. I would like to fill a few holes in my lineup and upgrade a few of the ones I have to better versions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I think I might have reached maximum shoe ownership...
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question, especially the use of the word "problem" in the title.

Seriously, I think having a large variety simply gives lots of options, especially in a region with marked weather seasons. Lots of boots for cold--dress, casual, water-resistant--and a number of sneakers and light-weight loafers for warm weather. Plus multiple other shoes for work and nicer events.

If the issue is space, that can always be addressed with creative thinking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raakish View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question, especially the use of the word "problem" in the title.

Seriously, I think having a large variety simply gives lots of options, especially in a region with marked weather seasons. Lots of boots for cold--dress, casual, water-resistant--and a number of sneakers and light-weight loafers for warm weather. Plus multiple other shoes for work and nicer events.

OP is right in realizing he has too many shoes. He can easily pick 3 or 4 pairs to wear in a row, and the average non-stylish person would think it's probably the same shoe.

"Consumerism becomes excessive when it extends beyond what is needed. When we begin consuming more than is needed, boundaries are removed."

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/e...e-consumerism/

"[M]aterialism is associated with lower levels of well-being, less pro-social interpersonal behavior, more ecologically destructive behavior, and worse academic outcomes. It also is associated with more spending problems and debt"

https://www.vox.com/2014/12/24/74477...ism-psychology

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    The OP seems like a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. I somewhat doubt keeping what shoes he has, or even buying more shoes if he so desires, is going to turn him into an introverted, dumbed down, impoverished monster of some type.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1275 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    I’ve found that it helps to keep a list of what I currently have, along with noting particular styles that I’d like to add in the future. I also try to avoid owning multiple shoes/boots in similar styles & colors. In my opinion, having to spend time on routine care for leather shoes is enough incentive to avoid having a bigger collection.

Yeah, this is a good idea. Keeping a list of what I currently have. When the latest AE sale came up I had to head downstairs and do a manual count/review to make sure I wasn't buying something that I already owned.

But space is definitely an issue. I need to share the closet in the photo with my wife, so I can't expand upwards. I'll definitely have to come up with some creative thinking. Ideally, keeping all the shoes in the same room because once they spill out to another room, they tend to be out of sight/out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    OP is right in realizing he has too many shoes. He can easily pick 3 or 4 pairs to wear in a row, and the average non-stylish person would think it's probably the same shoe.
    <snip>
    Whoa! If I said anything about having too many shoes, it was definitely tongue in cheek. Now, if I could just convince the cat to stop taking up so much space in the closet I could pick up a couple more pairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    The OP seems like a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. I somewhat doubt keeping what shoes he has, or even buying more shoes if he so desires, is going to turn him into an introverted, dumbed down, impoverished monster of some type.
    Thanks @Evenflow. I will confirm that I am indeed a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. Heck, I'll even include boots in there too

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I think I might have reached maximum shoe ownership...

The funny part is there are more shoes not even in the picture. (Bonus if you can see the non shoe item in the photo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoes are my hobby. So I have way too many than what I need. I do tend to buy quality shoes at the price that most men buy there cheap shoes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiconice View Post
    Shoes are my hobby. 35+ quality shoe/boot pairs. That's not counting 15 shoes before I became a shoe aficionado (that I don't wear any more)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I was making a point to Raakish that wanting to keep buying more stuff without checking yourself is not good. But I'm not affected by his shopping, or yours, or OP's, so shop away.