Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Monarch Clothing Brand

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    very very very expensive for clothes that doesn't even have proper descriptions of what they're made of, where they're made.

or how they fit, or any useful information you WOULD POSSIBLY NEED TO COMPLETE A CLOTHING PURCHASE.
    $150.00 Jeans it's the average price for jeans made in the USA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, Ian here - long-time Dappered threads lurker, occasional participant, and also the guy behind Lost Monarch. Thank you for the feedback and happy to answer any questions that come up.

You guys are correct that we’re working to address that niche of clothing that can be refined while still being casual (like chinos that are a bit more dressy than your standard ones, and denim that you can wear with a sportcoat without it looking like odd). This is just our first run of products, and we plan to add more soon.

Regarding pricing: while it’s true that we’re definitely pricing some things higher than what you would see from a typical mall brand, we’re also making things that are significantly better. If you compare us to products that are made to the same level you’ll see that our prices are much lower. If you saw our margins, you’d be shocked at how thin they are. For example, all of our pants are made in LA in a very experienced factory that makes stuff for many other high-end brands. The fabric all comes from Japan, from mills that specialize in these sorts of textiles. High quality selvage denim can easily cost $12+/yd (not including shipping), and because it is so narrow it requires 4 yards for one pair - that’s $48 before you even account for all the trims and the manufacturing cost (which, as we know, is quite high in the US).

The main reason we can price the polos so much lower is because they will be made in India, and because all of the textile-making, cutting, and sewing happen in the same region. We decided to produce these in India not only because it’s cheaper, but also because we would have more control over the end product (due to the vertical integration of the fabric and cut&sew). We could make polos in the USA, but they’d be $80-$100 and they probably wouldn’t be as good. So it would just be a marketing point, basically. In other words, we’re trying to make things where we can get the best product for the best price.

Regarding sizes: we definitely want to expand this, but since we’re doing this all with our own money we need to keep things small for the first run. Once we’re up and running we have every intention of adding more.

Happy to answer any other questions!
    lostmonarch.com

fromsqualortoballer.com - my blog

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Ian,

First off I'm very excited about the launch of the Lost Monarch brand. I've been a reader of your blog for a long time and find your opinion about clothes and style very close to my own.

I've put in an order for a pair of your 'everyday chinos in camel'. Could you talk a bit about how you went about selecting the fabric for these pants? Did you have in mind a formal trouser (a little bit shiny, holds a crease) or a casual trouser (more matte and rumply)?

Mike B

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your support, Mike!

When I was looking for fabric, the first thing I looked for was weight - I wanted something very 'medium' so that it could be easy to wear all year. Most of the swatches I was looking at were 8-9oz, which is heavy enough to feel sturdy without it being too much. The first fabric I tried was a really nice 8oz cotton twill and came in some great colors, but after sampling it was very 'soft', especially after washing - kind of like a washed chino from J. Crew or something like that. The fabric we settled on is from the same textile mill (so access to the same color palate too) but uses combed cotton, which removes the smaller fibers so it gives it a crisper hand feel. It's a touch heavier at 8.5oz, which I also like. It doesn't really have the sheen that some dress trousers have, but it is definitely on the more crisp side due to the combing. I haven't worn it with a crease yet (though I should give that a shot) but I think it would hold one pretty well.
    lostmonarch.com

fromsqualortoballer.com - my blog