Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: A woman's style

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

    A woman's style

    Hi All,

    Since you guys are here, you care about style. For those dating/engaged/married - how do you feel about your significant other's style? Specifically, do you wish they were more stylish? Or were they already stylish when you met them, and that's part of what attracted you to them? Or did their style naturally evolve over time?

    I have been dating an AMAZING woman; very pretty, smart, great chemistry between us, etc. All is well and I enjoy being with her, and see long term potential. However - here's my one small problem - I don't like the way she dresses. Not that she dresses bad at all, but she isn't much into women's fashion. Now, I'm not a guru regarding women's fashion by any means, but many of us can spot a well dressed woman when we see one. I have many female friends, and I love their style. Classic, contemporary, effortless. I love a well dressed, put together woman. I live in Chicago and there are plenty of women who I see out and about who are dressed well, and I always wish the girl I was dating would dress more like them.

    What do I do? I don't want to be superficial and stupid, and call things off with a wonderful woman simply because she's not into fashion, but at the same time, I've always been drawn to a woman with great style, and see myself with that kind of woman long term.

    Looking forward to your feedback - thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Dangerous territory, sir!

    For the first part: My SO has her own style, but it's definitely evolved since we met 3 years ago. Style wasn't a top reason why I was attracted to her, but generally I'm sure it plays a part in the grand scheme. She likes that I was interested in and had good style, so she from time to time asks for my opinion on stuff for her. For example, she switched jobs and needed to revise her work wardrobe to be more biz professional--as someone who has been in a biz pro setting my entire career, she looked to me (and my coworker friends) for advice on where to get good suiting/dresses/etc. Sometimes I also buy her things I think she'd like (and which I also like), but typically I get ideas from her vs. just choosing stuff I like without her input. Oftentimes, I know she's looking for X type of item, and if I see X that I like, I'll send it to her and say "hey saw this, and know you're looking for one, what do you think?".

    What you want to avoid is coming off as pushing her into anything that she doesn't want to wear or like. That can be disrespectful and offensive, IMO. It's hard to know the line between being helpful vs. pushy, if you're wanting to be proactive on this front--it'll be personal to your SO and how she views it.

    I'm mostly glad that my SO is comfortable with herself and what she wears, and isn't always trying to live up to others' fashion requirements all the time. If a fashionable woman is something you value highly, then I think you will eventually have to make a decision (or have your SO make that decision, if you push it) on this front. Best of luck!

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Dangerous territory, sir!

    For the first part: My SO has her own style, but it's definitely evolved since we met 3 years ago. Style wasn't a top reason why I was attracted to her, but generally I'm sure it plays a part in the grand scheme. She likes that I was interested in and had good style, so she from time to time asks for my opinion on stuff for her. For example, she switched jobs and needed to revise her work wardrobe to be more biz professional--as someone who has been in a biz pro setting my entire career, she looked to me (and my coworker friends) for advice on where to get good suiting/dresses/etc. Sometimes I also buy her things I think she'd like (and which I also like), but typically I get ideas from her vs. just choosing stuff I like without her input. Oftentimes, I know she's looking for X type of item, and if I see X that I like, I'll send it to her and say "hey saw this, and know you're looking for one, what do you think?".

    What you want to avoid is coming off as pushing her into anything that she doesn't want to wear or like. That can be disrespectful and offensive, IMO. It's hard to know the line between being helpful vs. pushy, if you're wanting to be proactive on this front--it'll be personal to your SO and how she views it.

    I'm mostly glad that my SO is comfortable with herself and what she wears, and isn't always trying to live up to others' fashion requirements all the time. If a fashionable woman is something you value highly, then I think you will eventually have to make a decision (or have your SO make that decision, if you push it) on this front. Best of luck!
    Thank you for this feedback. Yes, dangerous territory indeed. By no means is it my place to say how she, or anyone for that matter, should dress. I guess I'm trying to find a balance between finding someone who has the same style sense as me, while also appreciating someone for who they are rather than what they wear. I'm very sensitive when people (unless very close friends who know my style and are also style oriented) suggest I wear something, so I certainly don't want to do that and be respectful or pushy.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I agree with Hornsup, my wife has always had her own style, which I've found to be a little on the loud side (she loves, loves, LOVEs patterns and bright colors). I think she's moved more conservatively as she's entered her career and so she asks for my input on things occasionally. The "hey, saw this" move is a good one.

    I also recognize its a two way street. I have my own style and its what makes me comfortable. I appreciate feedback from her but would never wear something just because she liked it (she loves bow-ties, i hate them). I expect the same from her, she's going to dress however she feels comfortable, and as trite as it sounds, part of loving her means recognizing that she has to love herself first. It's a slow thing, we've been together for about 6 years and have both changed and probably moved more into alignment with each other style wise - she's picked up more monochromatic stuff, I've slowly moved into some more "fun" things.

  5. #5
    Member wpaulkelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    My wife uses StitchFix subscription for her own personal style. I didn't push her to it but her style has really evolved since Stitch. Perhaps buy her a subscription as a gift -- craft it as an effortless way to try new things.
    Using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    I like my wife's fashion sense. She has subscribed to some of the clothes-by-mail styling services to expand her collection of colors and fabrics. I keep meaning to try something like that, but I still don't trust myself to ever send anything back.

    Of course, if my wife really cared about style in men, I would have been out of luck when we first met due to my pure tennis-shoes-and-jeans concept of men's clothing at that point. I am thankful she was tolerant of my rattiness then and tolerant of the eccentric phases of men's style I went through before having any formula for a casual, mixed formality, and formal style that works for me.

    That all said, I would suggest letting your current partner find their own style. If someone told me in my early 20s that I need to try wingtips and sports jackets instead of converse and starter jackets, I would have thought they were all wrong and it may have been a turnoff. I didn't figure out anything until it was gently suggested to me that there are acceptable clothing colors other than black and ways of dressing that don't support a local sports team.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wpaulkelley View Post
    My wife uses StitchFix subscription for her own personal style. I didn't push her to it but her style has really evolved since Stitch. Perhaps buy her a subscription as a gift -- craft it as an effortless way to try new things.
    Sounds like a great idea.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,226
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    My wife is not very into fashion at all. I've used clues from here to help her get some more staple time pieces into her ward robe. She almost always asks for my opinion and takes it with an open mind. I don't need someone into fashion as long as they know the difference between dressing for the right occasion. It is unattractive to have women that defer to the leggings all the time look.

    Now I can see the appeal of someone that is ... but remember with someone into fashion comes their associated expenses. It isn't the all end all to life but a lot of my friends that are women that are into fashion including shoes, bags, etc. can spend some big bucks. Having two people in a relationship focused on that? It can add up.

    Personality and matching goals is more important than style to me. That stuff will eventually go a bit as you all age etc.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    ... I don't need someone into fashion as long as they know the difference between dressing for the right occasion. ...

    ... but remember with someone into fashion comes their associated expenses. ...
    Amen to both of these. And I spend enough for the both of us

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Thank you. You all seem to have a better handle on this than me, as I'm 30 and pretty comfortable/confident in grasping my personal style. I guess I just don't want to ever resent her, or see another woman and wish she dressed like another women. Cost is also a thing, while I'm frugal, I know many men/women who spend a lot on their clothing. But the resounding message I hear is that this shouldn't be a deal breaker by any means.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •