Thread: need all-season tire recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

need all-season tire recommendations

Hello all, I want to put all-season tires on my Accord soon. I had originally shortlisted my choice to bfgoodrich tires, though I was hoping to get some suggestions from experienced members. I need a set of good tires for wet roads and light snow. Thanks for any help.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    I went with Michelin Crossclimate II tyres. Can't say enough good things about them. Weren't cheap though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    Hello all, I want to put all-season tires on my Accord soon. I had originally shortlisted my choice to bfgoodrich tires, though I was hoping to get some suggestions from experienced members. I need a set of good tires for wet roads and light snow. Thanks for any help.
    I've had two full sets of Bridgestone - Turanza Serenity Plus tires on my sedan, and have been very pleased with them. Costco tends to have good tire sales and rebates if you have a membership. Right now there's sale for $70 off 4 Michelin tires.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I've only had experience with Cooper All Terrains, but they're really great so you might want to check them out for all season tires.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    How new is the Accord? What Trim? Is this your first time replacing tires for it? Do you know what tire you have on it now? Do you like them?

In general, if it's on the newer side I'd generally recommend going for one of the more premium tire brands (e.g. Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental). If it's older you'd probably be content with one of the more budget friendly brands (e.g. Firestone, BFG, Cooper, General).

Even if you don't buy through them, I'd highly recommend checking out Tire Rack's website. They are the best in the business in terms of testing and they also have probably the most reliable repository of customer reviews. For your Accord, you're likely going to be looking at "touring" tires Although if you enjoy more of a sporty feel, you could also look at the Ultra High Performance All-Season category.

I'd be happy to make some specific recommendations, but there are so many options for mainstream sedans that it's kind of hard to without know a bit more about your car and how you like to drive.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    All season aren't for snow, despite the name, I have some on my heavy AWD mid size which would be best case scenario and in our -24 weather here and they are god awful and I wish I had put my studded winter tires on earlier.

All Weather will be a decent compromise between snow and all season, I believe Nokian makes some good All Weathers

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    I just had some Continentals put on my TSX ("Continental AWS" I think - I couldn't find the service record for the exact designation) and they've been great in the MN winter so far. Not super cheap ($730 all-in I think) but I was happy to pay it after struggling on my old tires last winter.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up getting the Conti DWS06. So far I like the grip and cornering response of this tire.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up getting the Conti DWS06. So far I like the grip and cornering response of this tire.
    I was coming here to recommend this very tire.

The couple of GTI-centered enthusiast groups I'm in have 2 camps of people.....those who can afford a new set of Pilot Sports every year, and the rest of us. :P

"The rest of us" are all very much drawn to the DWS06 as the single greatest all-around tire for an enthusiast, period. The only tire with better dry traction without getting close to/into 4 figures for a set is the Indy 500, and as that's a summer-only tire, totally useless in my neck this time of year. For a year-round daily driver, the DWS06 is virtually unbeatable, until you get to spending well over $100 per tire MORE.

When compared against the OEM bridgestone all-seasons that came on the car......screw that there isn't any comparison. Hockey pucks would have had more grip than those atrocious things.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I was coming here to recommend this very tire.

The couple of GTI-centered enthusiast groups I'm in have 2 camps of people.....those who can afford a new set of Pilot Sports every year, and the rest of us. :P

"The rest of us" are all very much drawn to the DWS06 as the single greatest all-around tire for an enthusiast, period. The only tire with better dry traction without getting close to/into 4 figures for a set is the Indy 500, and as that's a summer-only tire, totally useless in my neck this time of year. For a year-round daily driver, the DWS06 is virtually unbeatable, until you get to spending well over $100 per tire MORE.

When compared against the OEM bridgestone all-seasons that came on the car......screw that there isn't any comparison. Hockey pucks would have had more grip than those atrocious things.
    It's such a shame that OE spec tires can kill the rep of a whole brand. The Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS is the direct competitor to the DWS06 and out performs it in wet and dry (whereas the DWS06 edges it out in light snow). Still, it's a pretty narrow margin both ways and you really can't go wrong with either.

But yeah, I'm guessing the Potenza RE97AS was what came stock on your car. Dragging the whole Potenza name through the mud with it.
    Last edited by Deke; February 19th, 2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: clarity