Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Is it time to write an obituary for the dress watch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Poll: Is it time to write an obituary for the dress watch?

This is exactly what I read in an article this morning. And I find that interesting because I noticed that there are quite a few dress watches in the super popular WIWT threads. So do you think the dress watch is a thing of the past or one only reserved for the above 60s?
    Let me know!

PS: My favourite dress watch of all time is the Hamilton Intramatic

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)
    Don't care much about mainstream opinion. Many things I wear--including wristwatches--are not trendy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Depends on the social group. Work in finance and you'll see plenty, but you'll see a split between those who want to appear cutting edge and those who want to appear reliable. That, and like most aspects of conspicuous consumption it becomes more common as you go up the economic ladder, with the usual caveat for old money.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    509 Post(s)
    I'm not seeing the poll??

People are buying less dress watches because more and more work environments are casual or business casual dress now compared to 20, 30, etc years ago. I'd personally love to own a dress watch but don't need one with most of my attire. If I worked in finance or a place where I had to wear suits daily, I'd definitely pick up a JLC type dress watch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatriceEvhe View Post
    This is exactly what I read in an article this morning.
    What article?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    I see plenty of dress watches on wrists at my work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Don't care much about mainstream opinion. Many things I wear--including wristwatches--are not trendy.
    I would show a thumbs up sign if there were one here

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1205 Post(s)
    Depends on where you work, your social environment, etc. I work with people who wear suits and ties daily. No shortages of dress watches there.

I also have friends who work in IT and spend most of their time at home coding. When I meet them for lunch or a drink they may be wearing a watch or not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Depends on where you work, your social environment, etc. I work with people who wear suits and ties daily. No shortages of dress watches there.

I also have friends who work in IT and spend most of their time at home coding. When I meet them for lunch or a drink they may be wearing a watch or not.
    I was about to say the same thing. Well said. Depends on your groups. In my world itís not dead. Smart watches are moving up but they are mostly consumers that donít wear watches versus taking from the dress watch demographic.

What I have noticed though is more switches to extremes. People either wearing Citizen type watches or Rolex type. In my business setting there really arenít a lot of people with in between or a lot of watches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I was wondering this very question as well. For the longest time, I kept seeing sporty type watches on metal bracelets at weddings, with suits, at work, in movies, on TV, etc. So much so that I thought a dressy watch equaled a metal bracelet. I've since learned a lot about watches but can't help but notice that bracelets are everywhere and actually look quite classy with a suit. The leather dress watch seems to be almost extinct. I work in accounting/finance and our environment is mostly business casual with a few suits walking around.