Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 Allen Edmonds employees laid off from Port Washington production facility

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

60 Allen Edmonds employees laid off from Port Washington production facility

https://fox6now.com/2019/02/01/60-al...tion-facility/

PORT WASHINGTON — Caleres, a global footwear company, has announced workforce reductions at its Allen Edmonds production facility in Port Washington.

The workforce reductions are effective immediately and impact approximately 60 Port Washington employees. All impacted employees will be provided 60 days’ pay, plus severance, benefit assistance, and outplacement services.

Approximately 300 employees will be left at Port Washington following these layoffs.

Company officials from Caleres said in a statement:

“After a thoughtful and diligent review, it was necessary to align our manufacturing capacity with consumer demand in order to position Allen Edmonds for continued growth. We remain committed to producing the highest quality footwear for our consumers.”
    I have a feeling this is just one of many to come for Allen Edmonds and the market as a whole for 2019.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    463 Post(s)
    Well.... that's not a good thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    https://fox6now.com/2019/02/01/60-al...tion-facility/

I have a feeling this is just one of many to come for Allen Edmonds and the market as a whole for 2019.
    I think this is more related to AE shipping production overseas to cut costs.

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1894 Post(s)
    RIP AE. We are witnessing the passing of an American icon.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Betting that the laid-off workers were the most expensive ones, that is, with the most experience. Even if Caleres isn't sending production work overseas, hiring a raft of new, low-wage workers and keeping the experienced ones around just long enough to train them would explain the seeming increase in defects and the layoffs.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Laying off workers "in order to position Allen Edmonds for continued growth." Seems to mean that either: 1) Fewer workers doing more work; 2) Doing more machine work; or 3) Replacing these workers with lower cost workers--which could mean moving production to another state or country.

I'm sure that workers in other countries can make shoes just fine. There are great shoes coming from lots of countries.

But still sad news for those losing a living and a way of life in Wisconsin.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that buys AEs in part because they are manufactured in the US. Try and sell me a $425 Park Ave that isn't made in Wisconsin and I'll take my business to Alden, although I probably should do that already. Or try a pair of J&M Georgetowns before they disappear too.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1205 Post(s)
    Reading this is disappointing. AE is going to be reduced to a shell of its former self, and that's a shame. I discovered AE shoes rather late in the game (once I started dressing well, maybe 10a ago) and thought they were great shoes. I started buying pairs when they were on sale and my collection grew.

But like most things in life, it was too good to last. Seems like the decline of AE is well underfoot. No pun intended.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Where do we go now? Alden? AEs are the only nice shoes I have or know anything about - good thing I bought plenty of them to last me a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Ugh, this bums me the f out.