Thread: A Northern big guy heads to LA on business . . .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

A Northern big guy heads to LA on business . . .

Hey guys, I live in Brooklyn and have been on 100s of business trips: Chicago, Atlanta, SF, Dallas. There's something about dressing for LA that psyches me out. I always feel like I could have worn something a little bit better, but I didn't take notes about what that might be. Probably a little more casual, brighter colors, beachy for Santa Monica.

I'm a 6'4 dad bod type guy, working in advertising. Some of the slicker cool t-shirt and jacket styles don't really work for me at a 38-40 waist. I tend to be a bit older than the people than I meet with and I want to convey both that I'm experienced and also that I'm creative.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    I'm thinking white non-iron button down, blue "cascade" color 5 pocket dress 'jeans' from Bonobos. Then I think I should throw on some kind of jacket or sweater?

For shoes, maybe white Stan Smiths or is this the excuse I need to get some suede chukkas real quick?

Thanks for the ideas - happy Friday!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    943 Post(s)
    I think the buttondown with the Bonobos, with SS or chukkas would be good. I'd play by ear for jacket or sweater, but that also depends on (1) formality of those you're meeting with, and (2) weather. I'd typically opt for a brown sportcoat with blue pants, but I think a lightweight v-neck sweater could be nice.

I'm always wary of changing how I dress too much for the places I visit. While it's good to make a little effort, I also don't want to be trying too hard / aka "how do you do, fellow kids".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)
    A casual, modern fit sport coat will give you the creative and authoritative vibe. (Disclaimer: I don't work in ad or creative industry.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    As a native southern Californian I can tell you with authority that nothing impresses southern Californians more than when you just fucking dress nice. Serious conservative business or business casual that fits you well will make you stand out more and get you more compliments than any colorful beachy try hard outfit you can think up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I think the buttondown with the Bonobos, with SS or chukkas would be good. I'd play by ear for jacket or sweater, but that also depends on (1) formality of those you're meeting with, and (2) weather. I'd typically opt for a brown sportcoat with blue pants, but I think a lightweight v-neck sweater could be nice.

I'm always wary of changing how I dress too much for the places I visit. While it's good to make a little effort, I also don't want to be trying too hard / aka "how do you do, fellow kids".
    Good point on the weather. Just looked and itís a high of 60 for the whole time on there. Iíve never been in LA when itís that cold.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    As a native southern Californian I can tell you with authority that nothing impresses southern Californians more than when you just fucking dress nice. Serious conservative business or business casual that fits you well will make you stand out more and get you more compliments than any colorful beachy try hard outfit you can think up.
    Yeah.. here’s another angle on the same advice: just be who you are. Don’t try to imitate some kind of mythical SoCal “look”. They know you are from Brooklyn, right? How do you convey Experienced and Creative everywhere else you travel?
    Mark

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motosacto View Post
    How do you convey Experienced and Creative everywhere else you travel?
    Gray hair and a smile, maybe a pocket square.

My favorite shoes are black and dark brown which arenít so great for warm weather but itís only a high of 60 in LA.

Still eyeing a new pair of Chukkas or suede loafers but should probably go with what I got.