Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diy tailoring folks out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Diy tailoring folks out there?

I've started to do my own alteration starting with trousers. I've found the basics very easy to handle and using a sewing machine is easy enough. My current issue is with taking in the seat and /or crotch of some trousers I'd like to make fit better. Anyone have some first hand advice? I've been all over YouTube but haven't gotten a lot of useful instruction.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I do some of my own. I work on shirts and pants. For shirts I take in the waist/sides and arms (width, not length). For pants hem, take in at the seat, slim legs. My work isnít the best but it lasts. I have some tailored shirts and pants that Iíve done that are 7+ years old

Not sure where youíre getting stuck, but Iíll help if I can. Taking in the seat of jeans is tough because of how the seam is made.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    I've started to do my own alteration starting with trousers. I've found the basics very easy to handle and using a sewing machine is easy enough. My current issue is with taking in the seat and /or crotch of some trousers I'd like to make fit better. Anyone have some first hand advice? I've been all over YouTube but haven't gotten a lot of useful instruction.
    Thanks

Follow the original stitches at the seat seam as a guide and just sew in a bit closer, try it on, then either remove the excess fabric or leave it as is if it's not too much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Thanks

Howard, your post got me thinking that DIY tailoring might be my next hobby.

I usually have an issue with the seat of my pants as well, especially jeans.

If you learn anything useful (besides what people post here), please share it. Thanks,
    Last edited by Ron; February 2nd, 2019 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Howard, your post got me thinking that DIY tailoring might be my next hobby.

I usually have an issue with the seat of my pants as well, especially jeans.

If you learn anything useful (besides what people post here), please share it. Thanks,
    Just a heads up, letting out the seat of jeans might not be the best, as you may have some fade or extra dye lines at the original seams if you let it out, depending on the jeans dye/fading process. If you're taking them in, then that's not too much of an issue, but be aware that you'll probably end up with quite a noticeable reminder of where the original seat seam used to be if you're letting it out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Just a heads up, letting out the seat of jeans might not be the best, as you may have some fade or extra dye lines at the original seams if you let it out, depending on the jeans dye/fading process. If you're taking them in, then that's not too much of an issue, but be aware that you'll probably end up with quite a noticeable reminder of where the original seat seam used to be if you're letting it out.
    Thanks for the info. I'd be taking in the seat, not letting it out.

The issue I have is no matter the size of the pants, soon after I put them on, they begin their inexorable slide south. It isn't the waist size as I've tried different sizes and brands. I think it is just small hips and bottom. So rather then take every pair of pants I have to a tailor, I might give a try taking them in myself.

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd be taking in the seat, not letting it out.

The issue I have is no matter the size of the pants, soon after I put them on, they begin their inexorable slide south. It isn't the waist size as I've tried different sizes and brands. I think it is just small hips and bottom. So rather then take every pair of pants I have to a tailor, I might give a try taking them in myself.

Just a thought.
    Oh, then how about squats, deadlift, squats, deadlift, repeat repeat repeat. Build out that badonk!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Haha thanks. Blew out my knees once doing squats. Not an option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    For these kinds of alterations, do you need a sewing machine with a zig zag stitch or can it be a simple straight stitch?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    For these kinds of alterations, do you need a sewing machine with a zig zag stitch or can it be a simple straight stitch?
    If you need to bind a raw edge, a zigzag stitch definitely helps, but for the new seam itself a simple straight stitch is all you need. You can also buy raw edge glue stuff from the fabric/crafts store to keep a raw edge from fraying.