Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are Guys So Afraid of Irons?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)

Why Are Guys So Afraid of Irons?

Often when looking through any men's style forum, if there is a request for shirt recommendations the request always specifies non-iron. After reading about chemicals used in that process, I have tried to find decent shirts that are not non-iron. TM Lewin has some that I like, but that's not really the point here. Even non-iron tagged shirts still require a little bit of ironing, so why all the fuss?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Never understood it either, but I have skin that's sensitive to synthetic fabrics and chemical treatments. Regardless, ironing is relaxing and hardly time-consuming if you have a non-absurd wardrobe in terms of volume. I tend to think non-iron just appeals to the modern obsession with convenience at all costs, even when the convenience is marginal at best and comes at a cost.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    I suppose I understand the fuss as people like convenience. I just personally find it less convenient to have my shirt fall apart than spend a couple of minutes ironing it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    I prefer non iron. I have both but it saves a lot of time to wash and hang then to wash, pull out iron, pull out ironing board, set up, get hangers, iron and hang then put it all away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I prefer non-iron shirts only from the standpoint that they stay looking nicer throughout the day. I don't mind ironing.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    A lot of people probably don't even own irons anymore. I know I managed for a long time without one, I think I was like 28 or 29 when I finally bought one.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Ironing is one of the things I hate the most in life. But all my shirts are must-iron. I haven't worn a non-iron for ages but I like the feel of a must-iron shirt better.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    I go back and forth with ironing my own clothes and dry cleaning. Similarly, I don't care if a shirt is non-iron or not, if I like it, I'll buy it.

Also what is the worry on chemicals...protecting the environment or another reason?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Also what is the worry on chemicals...protecting the environment or another reason?
    I would say yes, the environment partly due to the chemicals directly, but if we look into textile manufacturing, we are not exactly talking about a light-on-the-environment industry.

However, in my anecdotal experience, non-iron shirts wear out quickly. Thus, an untreated shirt may have an environmental benefit beyond the treatment chemicals simply due to not having to purchase a new shirt for quite a while. For me, I have some untreated OCBDs that I've worn consistently for five years and only show very minor signs of fraying on the cuffs. In contrast, I have none of the non-iron OCBDs I've purchased over the last five years due their fraying or the glued seams falling apart. I donated all of these, but I imagine some of them ended up in "textile recycling" rather than on someone's back.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    My entire wardrobe is about 98% need-to-iron ocbd at this point. I can say that now, non-iron shirts are not my thing, having semi sensitive skin, and loving the feeling of a nice starched oxford, and the trad collar roll of a good stiff button down collar.

the non-iron trick is definitely a trade off, but its a VERY VERY neat time saving trade-off. it's very easy to say why people like it. it's 3 hours back in your schedule, or you don't have to go by the dry cleaner anymore for weekly dress shirt cleaning.

good ones work really well. even if they're not for me, i know exactly why people are enthusiastic about them. they're awesome.