Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Guys So Afraid of Irons?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I use to hate ironing. I recently took over that chore from my wife for my clothes. She commented the other day how I am getting pretty good.

What irons do you guys use? (Did i really just ask this???lol) I was leaning towards a Rowenta but read a lot of reviews that they leak.
    Bought a new Rowenta to replace the previous 11 year old Rowenta. I love it. Haven't had any issues with leaking either.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2034 Post(s)
    IMO the type of iron you use doesn't really matter, just make sure you only fill it with distilled water. (Same with any kind of steam cleaner.) With regular tap water you are eventually going to get mineral buildup or rust in the iron that will either plug it up or transfer to your clothes, or both....
    Ben

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    Often when looking through any men's style forum, if there is a request for shirt recommendations the request always specifies non-iron. After reading about chemicals used in that process, I have tried to find decent shirts that are not non-iron. TM Lewin has some that I like, but that's not really the point here. Even non-iron tagged shirts still require a little bit of ironing, so why all the fuss?
    When I was a child, I was burned by an iron. So, I'm afraid of them. Okay, I was burned, but not afraid. That said, I have ruined shirts with an iron, if it's dirty or something. And getting shirts done at the cleaners is such a time saver. But--wow--my guy recently raised his price to $3 a shirt. I guess his kid is in college now and he needs the money.

We have a nice steamer now, so even when I do need something smoothed out, I'm more likely to use the steamer.

Okay--but your original point--I've never thought about whether a shirt is a no-iron fabric or not; if I like the shirt, I get it. I've never thought about the chemicals they use. Are they harmful to us humans? Or bad for the environment? I've been reading lately about how the clothing industry is one of the worst polluters around.

Maybe it's time to start paying attention?
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    IMO the type of iron you use doesn't really matter, just make sure you only fill it with distilled water. (Same with any kind of steam cleaner.) With regular tap water you are eventually going to get mineral buildup or rust in the iron that will either plug it up or transfer to your clothes, or both....
    Best advice on this thread, thank you.

I would only add that if you have been using tap water in a steamer or an iron, the scale can be dissolved by running vinegar, lactic acid, citric acid, etc. (outside, preferably). And, acid isn't a long-term solution to not using distilled water as eventually acids will compromise the seals. (I only know that last bit as my first iron steadily dripped after filling because I had run vinegar so many times.)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    I am no fan of ironing either, but once I started getting my shirts from S&M, I had no way around it. I am not willing to spend money on dry cleaning, so I have to spend time ironing. I do own a few non irons that I bought before I was introduced to S&M. The BR shirts are true to their name, but a pair I got from RW&Co no longer serve the purpose. Like some of the posters mentioned, I prefer to iron even my non irons as that gives them a crisp feel.
    my S&M shirts don't need ironing at all, all the sleeves shrunk so they are someone elses problem

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Bought a new Rowenta to replace the previous 11 year old Rowenta. I love it. Haven't had any issues with leaking either.
    Which model did you get and how long have you had it? I read somewhere the leaking usually occurs around the 1 year mark.

My brother has an older model Rowenta that is no longer made. The weight and amount of steam generated probably reduced the time to iron a shirt by more then half so I was impressed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Which model did you get and how long have you had it? I read somewhere the leaking usually occurs around the 1 year mark.

My brother has an older model Rowenta that is no longer made. The weight and amount of steam generated probably reduced the time to iron a shirt by more then half so I was impressed.
    We have the DW8183 Pro Master November of 2017. I do see some complaints about it leaking, but I've never had a problem. I use tap water, and empty it after each use. Based on my experience, I'd recommend the company.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    We have the DW8183 Pro Master November of 2017. I do see some complaints about it leaking, but I've never had a problem. I use tap water, and empty it after each use. Based on my experience, I'd recommend the company.
    Thanks for the info about your experience. Very helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    my S&M shirts don't need ironing at all, all the sleeves shrunk so they are someone elses problem
    Now that's a solution.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    I iron everything. Even non iron shirts need ironing. Their benefit is resisting wrinkling well once you have ironed them. They look better toward the end of the day than a must-iron shirt.

"But..but.. non-iron is scratchy!" Yes, it is. Know what else is scratchy? The heavy starch a must-iron shirt requires in order to stay looking good all day.

For dress shirts, I go non-iron.
    For ocbd, I go must-iron, because ocbd holds up better and is inherently more casual anyway.
    For casual, I go must-iron, because casual is casual and I don't need the shirt to be perfectly crisp.