Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are Guys So Afraid of Irons?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Buying a nice iron makes ironing a lot less of a chore. I don't mind and often iron my wife's clothes too. She tends to jsut toss wrinkled things back in the dryer for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Non iron isn't scratchy at all, but if you find it scratchy feel bad for you, you can't starch your shirts or use time saving non iron. This subject is the same thing as people complaining they are hot and how do they cool down, but they layer up with a tshirt under a dress shirt and claim it makes you cooler, so I tried wearing 2 tshirts in the summer and boy does that no work, placebo effect.

"Even non-iron tagged shirts still require a little bit of ironing, so why all the fuss?" That's not true at all, learn to use your laundry properly and don't sit there playing on your phone letting them sit in the dryer for 5 hours.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I'm not afraid of irons - I was ironing clothes when i was a teenager. And even have a $150 digital iron....for skis).

But I just don't want to bother ironing shirts as part of my regular routine. Non-iron shirts look good enough, so they're a win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlejandroLopez View Post
    Never understood it either, but I have skin that's sensitive to synthetic fabrics and chemical treatments. Regardless, ironing is relaxing and hardly time-consuming if you have a non-absurd wardrobe in terms of volume. I tend to think non-iron just appeals to the modern obsession with convenience at all costs, even when the convenience is marginal at best and comes at a cost.
    All costs? What is the cost of the times saving? Why should I spend time ironing when I can easily avoid it?

If you've got sensitive skin, have at it. I don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I still iron some of my non-iron shirts. To me, a freshly pressed crisp cotton shirt looks really nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    I still iron some of my non-iron shirts. To me, a freshly pressed crisp cotton shirt looks really nice.
    This is exactly right. I'm not much bothered whether my shirts are non-iron or not and I've had long lasting examples of both. Also short lasting examples of both. It all depends on how the shirt was made to begin with rather than whether or not it was treated for non-ironness. Though some manufacturers do cut corners to make their non-iron offerings the same price as their iron ones. The treatment does cost something.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I'm no fan of ironing but I generally avoid non-iron shirts because the fabric doesn't feel as nice as regular untreated cotton to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    I use to hate ironing. I recently took over that chore from my wife for my clothes. She commented the other day how I am getting pretty good.

What irons do you guys use? (Did i really just ask this???lol) I was leaning towards a Rowenta but read a lot of reviews that they leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I am no fan of ironing either, but once I started getting my shirts from S&M, I had no way around it. I am not willing to spend money on dry cleaning, so I have to spend time ironing. I do own a few non irons that I bought before I was introduced to S&M. The BR shirts are true to their name, but a pair I got from RW&Co no longer serve the purpose. Like some of the posters mentioned, I prefer to iron even my non irons as that gives them a crisp feel.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I go back and forth with ironing my own clothes and dry cleaning. Similarly, I don't care if a shirt is non-iron or not, if I like it, I'll buy it.

Also what is the worry on chemicals...protecting the environment or another reason?
    That's fair. I have bought non-iron shirts, but I don't look for them, if that makes sense.

As for the chemicals, some non-iron shirts use formaldehyde in them which isn't great for the skin. Higher end shirt makers can do it with other stuff, but I'm not too hot on dropping $150 on a shirt.

Appreciate the replies everyone. Nice to know it's not just me, but also good to have other perspectives.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    ironing sucks