Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atheisure Shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Atheisure Shoes

So when Iím not on the job or going out, Iím often working out. Iím quite into fitness and often apply the basic dappered principles to athletic wear to be functional and comfortable while still looking as ďput togetherĒ as one can in athletic wear. For reference, I find that Lululemon and Gymshark often look nice to me.

That said, Iím looking for a good pair of shoes to wear with this. Why do you guys recommend for both stylish athletic clothes and shoes?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    To me working out shoes are functional first and style second. I want minimum cushion when not doing cardio. My default gym shoe are Nike Free RN's. I got them in white and blue since they were on sale. I like that they are simple, light weight, and minimum cushion. They are great in a pinch to throw on with jeans or shorts (spring/summer).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)
    I have a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes that I generally try to use when doing any weight training. I know a lot of heavy lifters wear Chuck Taylors. For running/cardio I use whatever running shoes don't give me shin splints (currently some Adidas that probably are due to be replaced).

I think of "athleisure" more as pseudo athletic wear for when you actually aren't planning on doing anything that strenuous. For that, I'm a huge fan of Allbirds. Super comfortable for casual wear.

Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1968 Post(s)

Bro do u even squat
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Bro do u even squat
    Or put 5 lbs plates on the ground and put your heels on them when squatting. I've been tempted to get the romaleos but man $100+ for just squat and deadlift shoes and then lugging them around in the gym bag has kept me from trying them. Maybe one day.

Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1968 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Or put 5 lbs plates on the ground and put your heels on them when squatting. I've been tempted to get the romaleos but man $100+ for just squat and deadlift shoes and then lugging them around in the gym bag has kept me from trying them. Maybe one day.
    Unfortunately the plates-under-heels trick does not translate so well for Oly lifts.

I think I paid $125 for my Romaleos, I lug ‘em around awkwardly in a bag with the rest of my lifting gear (knee sleeves, wrist wraps, belt, chalk), and they are great. Sure I feel wildly over-accessorized given the relatively light weights I’m lifting, but to me whatever makes it enjoyable (or at least more comfortable) is worth buying since it keeps me coming back to the gym. If other people at the gym want to judge me (though frankly I’m already judging the crap out of them for doing dumbbell bench presses in the squat rack or endless calf raises on the Smith machine or whatever) then that’s fine, that’s their business.

Personally if I’m willing to spend $250+ for a pair of dress shoes that I’ll wear for 8 hours one or two days a week, $125 seems like a good deal for a shoe I wear for 1.5 hours 5-6 times a week, especially now that I’ve quit CrossFit and focus exclusively on lifting.

My “regular” gym shoes are Metcon 4s which are pretty good all-around gym shoes. But I think my favorite gym shoes for style and versatility are a pair of Adidas Sambas I got for like $36.
    Ben

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Bro do u even squat
    Haha nice! I bought some rebook lifter PRs off of poshmark for cheap and they've been such a blessing for my squats. Able to get nice and deep without buttwink. My regular workout shoes are Vibram 5 fingers.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    How about these? Looks nice with the gum sole.

https://www.reebok.com/us/reebok-spe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    "Athleisure" is when gear is meant to be worn both inside the gym and outside the gym. My take on it: I'd rather wear something that looks much better than athletic gear when I'm outside the gym, and when I'm inside the gym, I want functional gear before stylish gear.

I wear Reebok Nano 8's (same shoe @Nandyn linked) for most lifting with the exception of wearing lifters (Nike Romaleos 2) for olympic lifts, front squats, and certain overhead pressing movements (log press, etc).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Plain white Converse Chuck Taylors for lifting and Adidas Ultraboost running shoes for everything else. The Chucks only get gym time but the Ultraboosts in black work with streetwear. As for workout clothes, I think it's lunacy to spend good money on workout clothes the same way it would be lunacy to wear nice jeans to a construction site. My gym uniform is a Uniqlo cotton T that comes in a 3-pack for about 10 bucks and Uniqlo sweatpants that you can get on sale for 15 or 20 bucks.