Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which cheapo dive watch?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Which cheapo dive watch?

I am not (yet) a watch guy but I have really gotten the itch for a dive watch (my other watches are either field or dress watches). I was thinking of scratching that itch with one of these two watches:

Timex Expedition:
    https://www.timex.com/expedition-ran...spired#start=1

Casio Duro:
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-...57146454&psc=1

The Duro seems like a solid value for the money and seems to be beloved by the internet. That strap tho--oof!

I dig the grey color of the Timex, and like the bracelet, just not totally sold on what looks almost like a hybrid diver/field watch.

FWIW, I am not planning on actually scuba diving with either of these!

Any/all thoughts opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Which cheapo dive watch?

I have the Casio after a multitude of recommendations from Dappered. I really like it. I would go with that one. Even though you don’t plan on going scuba diving or anything with the watch, the Timex only has a 50 M water resistance, which is pretty weak for a dive watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I also have the Casio and would recommend it. I also own a Timex weekender and a Bulova dress watch and get more compliments on the Casio than any other. I replaced the strap with a NATO and wear it casually. I swim with it all the time, both in a pool and the ocean, and have had no problems.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)
    The Casio is a better built watch... steel case, screw-down crown, screw-down caseback, rotating bezel, 200m water resistant. The lume is weak and the design is entirely derivative of the Rolex Submariner. The strap is not nice but actually very comfortable and easy to replace with rubber, leather, NATO, etc.

The Timex is plated brass, snap-on caseback, push-pull crown, 50m water resistant. Most likely the bezel is fixed/non-functional. But on the upside the Indiglo lume is very bright (but probably not functional underwater), the design is more original, and if you want a bracelet it has a bracelet.

If you want something that is actually functional as a diver, the Casio is the way to go IMO. It's the cheapest watch by far with those features.

PS The description says the Timex is stainless steel. I can virtually guarantee that is wrong. Timex makes some SS watches but they are always in their higher-end lines that sell for $100+ through more "premium" retailers, not in their standard lineup like the Expedition.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 24th, 2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What LesserBlackDog said. I've owned the Casio two separate times. Both times I got rid of it because it was just too large for my puny wrists--the second time I got it I thought "it couldn't have been THAT big," but I was wrong. Regardless, it was a great watch and would recommend it to anyone with a large enough wrist looking for an inexpensive diver.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)
    i've had great luck with my invicta 8932OB. $53 on amazon.

i beat the shit out of it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I have a Casio Duro and love it. It is big, but I wear it on an RAF Nato which helps slim it down a bit.

If you can stretch your budget you should check out the Orient Ray and Mako
    https://www.amazon.com/Orient-FAA020.../dp/B01AK5TQQ8

https://www.amazon.com/Orient-FAA020.../dp/B01AK5TQXG

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    Go with the Casio. I own that watch, picked up after the many positive reviews here on Dappered. Couldn't be happier, especially for the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I bought the Casio to wear in the garage (the rotating bezel is very helpful for timing a number of tasks). Ended up being so impressed with it that I started wearing it to the office. I have mine on a nylon NATO strap, but the band it comes with is bearable.

Still trying to decide how I feel about the blatant copy of the Rolex Submariner.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The Casio is a better built watch... steel case, screw-down crown, screw-down caseback, rotating bezel, 200m water resistant. The lume is weak and the design is entirely derivative of the Rolex Submariner. The strap is not nice but actually very comfortable and easy to replace with rubber, leather, NATO, etc.

The Timex is plated brass, snap-on caseback, push-pull crown, 50m water resistant. Most likely the bezel is fixed/non-functional. But on the upside the Indiglo lume is very bright (but probably not functional underwater), the design is more original, and if you want a bracelet it has a bracelet.

If you want something that is actually functional as a diver, the Casio is the way to go IMO. It's the cheapest watch by far with those features.

PS The description says the Timex is stainless steel. I can virtually guarantee that is wrong. Timex makes some SS watches but they are always in their higher-end lines that sell for $100+ through more "premium" retailers, not in their standard lineup like the Expedition.
    Thanks for the post-script as that is what I also suspected. One of the first watches I owned was a timex with a silver-colored bracelet made out of plastic or resin. Thinking something similar is one the Expedition.