Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which cheapo dive watch?

Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1983 Post(s)
    What's funny is I wore a Timex as my daily for many years during and after college and never had an issue with the loud ticking - because I would wear the watch to sleep, and it would be buried under the covers where I couldn't hear it.

It was really only when I started to own and wear multiple watches that I would leave a Timex out in the room somewhere and get freaked out by the ticking noise....
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I hear ya. I break out my weekender, funnily enough, on weekends when I'm messing around and it might break. The wife has a weekender too and I'm forever putting her watch in a drawer too. For some reason the ticking doesn't bother her at night.
    They are actually great for hiking. Toss a weekender on a perlon and you have a super light weight time keeper.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Tangential question for the forum members: If you aren't really going DIVING, but plan on just SWIMMING with your watch on, how much water resistance do you need?

My inexpensive sport watches include a Timex Expedition Scout and a Seiko SND309P (like the one in the photo below.) The Seiko dial says "100M". I don't think that I'd trust it to go scuba diving, but will it be okay swimming? It wasn't expensive enough to stress about if something were to happen to it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    I took a timex weekender to the Dominican republic for a...wait for it...weekend trip. Wore it in the pool and ocean every day. No issues. I don't think I would do that again though. If it has 50m wr I will swim in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Good article on water resistance for watches:

https://www.govbergwatches.com/blog/...ce-damage/?amp

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    Tangential question for the forum members: If you aren't really going DIVING, but plan on just SWIMMING with your watch on, how much water resistance do you need?

My inexpensive sport watches include a Timex Expedition Scout and a Seiko SND309P (like the one in the photo below.) The Seiko dial says "100M". I don't think that I'd trust it to go scuba diving, but will it be okay swimming? It wasn't expensive enough to stress about if something were to happen to it.

Why do you need to swim with your watch on? I always wonder this. I wear a g shock to the gym, but still take it off to swim, even though I clearly don't need to.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Why do you need to swim with your watch on? I always wonder this. I wear a g shock to the gym, but still take it off to swim, even though I clearly don't need to.
    Vacation: Beach, pool, etc. Also, I like having a watch on all the time; I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to being time.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    in case you need to know what time it is while in the water? I dont even understand this question. I cant tell you how many times my wife asked me "what time is it?" while we were floating in the pool. Usually so we could try to get to the restaurant line before it got crazy. Or knew how much time we had before they kicked us out. Or I take the kids to the pool on my lunch break over the summer. I mean, if you just get int he pool to do laps for a workout or something, I get it not needing one. But if you are recerationally swimming but have other places to be, then the watch comes in handy.