Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Which cheapo dive watch?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Thought about the Invicta--really like the look of it--but I think it will wear a little small on my wrist.

  2. #12
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,409
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2027 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Thanks for the post-script as that is what I also suspected. One of the first watches I owned was a timex with a silver-colored bracelet made out of plastic or resin. Thinking something similar is one the Expedition.
    I think the bracelet is probably stamped/folded steel but I'm quite certain the case itself is coated brass.
    Ben

  3. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,515
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    The Casio is a better built watch... steel case, screw-down crown, screw-down caseback, rotating bezel, 200m water resistant. The lume is weak and the design is entirely derivative of the Rolex Submariner. The strap is not nice but actually very comfortable and easy to replace with rubber, leather, NATO, etc.

    The Timex is plated brass, snap-on caseback, push-pull crown, 50m water resistant. Most likely the bezel is fixed/non-functional. But on the upside the Indiglo lume is very bright (but probably not functional underwater), the design is more original, and if you want a bracelet it has a bracelet.

    If you want something that is actually functional as a diver, the Casio is the way to go IMO. It's the cheapest watch by far with those features.

    PS The description says the Timex is stainless steel. I can virtually guarantee that is wrong. Timex makes some SS watches but they are always in their higher-end lines that sell for $100+ through more "premium" retailers, not in their standard lineup like the Expedition.
    the stainless steel will be the bracelet. the case is plated brass.

    casio is a far superior watch from a technical standpoint. Dont sweat the strap too much. thats an easy change. You wont get a good fitted curved end link bracelet but there are many other silicone, canvas, nato, or sailcloth options. I put mine on a hadley roma silicone with contrasting stitching and really liked it. I did do a straight end link hexad bracelet for a while too. Let me see if I can dig up some pics for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i've had great luck with my invicta 8932OB. $53 on amazon.

    i beat the shit out of it.
    fantastic option. smaller than Duro, comes with a decent bracelet (way better than the timex), and is auto...if that matters to you.

  4. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,515
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    my before and after. I added the bracelet, brushed the surface so it didnt have so much shiny on it, and replaced the insert just because I wanted to.






    this is the bracelet I used. Cheap but al solid links. Very decent bracelet but not dainty...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-20-22-24...d=131254343274

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Not the cheapest but I like the Citizen Promaster Diver watch because it is an eco-drive.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    Not the cheapest but I like the Citizen Promaster Diver watch because it is an eco-drive.
    Heck yea. Ultimately I'd like to get a Citizen BN0191-55L but other than grey market I haven't seen it for less than $250 (unlike the Duro--42 bucks)! I recently acquired a Citizen Promaster Tough (the green one) and love it.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    my before and after. I added the bracelet, brushed the surface so it didnt have so much shiny on it, and replaced the insert just because I wanted to.






    this is the bracelet I used. Cheap but al solid links. Very decent bracelet but not dainty...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-20-22-24...d=131254343274
    Thanks for the comments. The duro looks great on that bracelet!

  8. #18
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,515
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Thanks for the comments. The duro looks great on that bracelet!
    its what made it wearable for me. Made it a big bold sports watch but it seemed to fit.

  9. #19
    Varsity Member tim_g20t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    fantastic option. smaller than Duro, comes with a decent bracelet (way better than the timex), and is auto...if that matters to you.
    Actually, the one he referred to was the 8932OB, which is the quartz version. I had a couple quartz Invicta Pro Divers, and although I loved them at the time, all of them broke on me within a couple years of very gentle use, so I'm hesitant to recommend one over the Casio unless you need a smaller model. (That said, I still have and love my auto 8926.)

  10. #20
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,515
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1056 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_g20t View Post
    Actually, the one he referred to was the 8932OB, which is the quartz version. I had a couple quartz Invicta Pro Divers, and although I loved them at the time, all of them broke on me within a couple years of very gentle use, so I'm hesitant to recommend one over the Casio unless you need a smaller model. (That said, I still have and love my auto 8926.)
    good catch, i skimmed that. the 8926 can be had for $52 but usually more like $70. I have never tried their quartz, only the auto with the seiko movement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •