View Poll Results: Have YOU had any issues with "firsts quality" Allen Edmonds shoes or boots?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 46.15%
  • No

14 53.85%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have YOU had any issues with Allen Edmonds shoes or boots?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

Question Have YOU had any issues with Allen Edmonds shoes or boots?

I know a lot of the internet bemoans the declining quality of Allen Edmonds over the past few years (or decade if you've been around the block a time or two), but I don't think anyone has tried to actually collect data to prove the point.

If you've purchased Allen Edmonds "first quality" shoes or boots within the past two years, did you have any quality control issues? If so, what were the issues? How were the issues handled?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Early last year I bought a pair of black Carlyles. When I got home I was looking them over and saw the tongue on the left shoe was sewn in sideways. It was enough of an angle that it was uncomfortable since the side of the tongue rubbed the top of my foot. I ended up exchanging them for another pair.

EDIT: I should add that I own 5 pairs of AE shoes, and the Carlyles were the only pair that gave me trouble.
    Last edited by cwk; January 23rd, 2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added more info

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    My issues were very small compared to some. Small discolorations or imperfections in the stitching for me in all but one pair out of five. Oh, plus a sizing problem (I normally wear a 12.5, and I purchased a 13 which I could barely squeeze into; I returned it). Oh, and the infamous tiger striping on a pair of bourbon color shoes (which I ended up dying into a two-tone color myself).

I guess they were no big deal for me, and I got them all on sale, so I kept them.

However, two friends have had much more serious problems with marks, scuffs, and bad stitching. One of them, a work colleague, solved the problems (two different pairs) by returning them and having replacement pairs sent. The other friend decided to just make the return--he's a musician and the purchase was a stretch for him anyway. After seeing me sing the praises of AE shoes on Facebook, he splurged and I think he was disappointed so much he gave up. I feel bad about this one.

But--if you get a good pair--wow, they are nice. My work colleague purchased dark chilli Fifth Avenues and they are beautiful. I don't think I've seen that color before.

P.S.: Get ready for the flames. AE is a sacred cow to some people.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; January 23rd, 2019 at 06:33 PM.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    P.S.: Get ready for the flames. AE is a sacred cow to some people.
    I think that's slowly changing, but I'm not sure if that's just my echo chamber or reality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I had an issue with two pairs of loafers that i ordered. The inside sole was glued down but was peeling up where they glued it down. I had one good shoe and one bad. Ordered a replacement and had the opposite so i took the two good and returned the two bad. problem solved, but still a QC issue on AE firsts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I apologize in advance for the mini rant, but I've majorly soured on AE recently. Two to three years ago, I started to upgrade my shoe collection (dress & casual) and started with Allen Edmonds. Of the 6 or 7 shoes that I purchased over this period (all as firsts quality) all but I want to say one had an issue that required an exchange/refund. I got some McGregors that had uneven quarters on the first TWO pairs, some Daltons that had a defective heel counter (didn't even know this was a thing, AE diagnosed it) that squeaked constantly, noticeably uneven broguing on some strands, etc.

The last straw for me was last month when I bought a pair of Long Branch boots (around $250) that had the tongue of one boot incorrectly sewed in at a slant. I returned them and instead ordered some Alfred Sargent Hannover boots for around $350 that look MUCH nicer and also came with lasted birch shoe trees. Within the last year or so, I've realized that unless you're picking up AE seconds that are also heavily on sale, you get a much better quality shoe for not much more money if you look to shoes made in England and Spain. The lasts have more elegant shapes, the shoes are better detailed and colored, and I've not once had even a minor issue on any purchase. The service at many of these companies (can vouch for Pediwear, Herring, AFPOS, Skoaktiebolaget, JFitzpatrick & Carmina) rivals or bests AE's. Most vendors include a hand written note saying who packed & reviewed your order (would love if AE did this). I got a pair of J.Fitzpatrick Lynwood derbies for $300 that, in my opinion, blow away anything that AE puts out, both in quality & style. Picked up Alfred Sargent Moore & Carmina adelaides for around $350 each. Carlos Santos, often can be found in the low to mid $200s, may be the best bargains out there.

If you're confident in your sizing and are willing to do a little research on the shoes/last before buying, take a chance on something from Europe. You won't look back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    No issues.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    I know a lot of the internet bemoans the declining quality of Allen Edmonds over the past few years (or decade if you've been around the block a time or two), but I don't think anyone has tried to actually collect data to prove the point.

If you've purchased Allen Edmonds "first quality" shoes or boots within the past two years, did you have any quality control issues? If so, what were the issues? How were the issues handled?
    So far they are holding for 2 years, no problems but none have daily wears and are seasonal. My pennies are not worn in winter and my boots get no wear during summer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    I've been buying up some new old stock AEs. I arrived home today to find a pair of Dundee 2.0, brown calf, ($160.00, new) and they are exquisite. I wish AE hadn't gone into the shitter, but nothing good lasts forever.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I've been buying up some new old stock AEs. I arrived home today to find a pair of Dundee 2.0, brown calf, ($160.00, new) and they are exquisite. I wish AE hadn't gone into the shitter, but nothing good lasts forever.
    Where do you find NOS?

I'm asking for a friend, because my wife says I don't need any more shoes.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.