Thread: AE Dalton Sizing Question

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

AE Dalton Sizing Question

Good morning Gents:

I just received my AE Dalton, 2nds. I have to say I am very happy with them. A few minor marks with too much dye, a slight ripple in the leather but otherwise no flaws that I can detect.

The issue is sizing. I'm a 10.5D on a Brannock device, measured by the salesman at my local AE factory store. Actually my left foot is a 10D, right foot 10.5D I have a pair of AE 5th Avenues in a size 10.5D that I am still breaking in. Only have about 4-5 wears on them so far. When I purchased them I would describe the fit as snug, but not tight.

So reading all the threads I could find on AE Dalton sizing I have read everything from that they usually are TTS to you should order 1 width up and one length down (so a 10E in my case) to keep the length but go wider (so a 10.5E). I also read of people ordering a wider width and then when they broke in they were too wide, ugh!

When I tried on the boots last night I was concerned because they felt slightly tight in the width although the length seemed fine. There was a slight and I mean slight rise of my foot in the heel when walking but nothing I felt was significant.

Unfortunately the local AE factory store which is nearby doesn't have any Daltons in 10 or 10.5 E. There is a regular AE store an hour a way with a 10 E in stock but not a 10.5 E.

So what I think I will do is order another 2nd in 10.5 E for comparison and eat the $25 restocking fee for the one I have
    to send back.

I know every person is different but was just curious as to the experiences people here have had with Dalton sizing and if they feel if they are true to size or not.

I may have been having a bad foot day yesterday too as my 5th avenues felt a little tight as well. Hope my feet didn't decided to grow the past week, lol.

They are such a beautiful boot and otherwise fit well that I am going to keep a pair of these regardless. If the 10.5E are too big I guess I can always have the 10.5D stretched.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    I went TTS with my Daltons. I am a 12D and went 12D. As I wear them more they have stretched out to the point where boot socks feel great and other socks make them feel loose.

I will note that it really depends on when you try shoes on and your activities. I run 5-6 days per week and have some shoes I cannot wear the day after a run because they are too snug for a long day on my feet. When I don't run the day before they fit fine.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I recently got my first pair of Daltons and immediately exchanged for a wider size. Was definitely the right choice on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)
    the dalton leather is pretty stretchy

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    I appreciate you all posting your experiences.

It seems AE no longer has the 10 or 10.5 E seconds at 30% on their main site and the sale on shoebank is now down to 20%. So it would be an extra $35 to get the 10.5 E plus the $25 restocking for one of the pairs.

Thinking about keeping them and making them work.

Thanks again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post

I will note that it really depends on when you try shoes on and your activities.
    Yes I am discovering that. Diet as well. I normally keep my dietary sodium very low. When I overdue I get bloated like a tick.
    Last edited by Ron; January 23rd, 2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I've been equally confused about what size is best for the Dalton. I'm a 9.5D Brannock, but the 9.5D in the Dalton results in a bit of heel slippage. I wouldn't want to go shorter or narrower, because both of those dimensions seem to fit perfectly; it just doesn't seem to taper in enough at the heel. So, sadly, no Dalton for me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_g20t View Post
    I've been equally confused about what size is best for the Dalton. I'm a 9.5D Brannock, but the 9.5D in the Dalton results in a bit of heel slippage. I wouldn't want to go shorter or narrower, because both of those dimensions seem to fit perfectly; it just doesn't seem to taper in enough at the heel. So, sadly, no Dalton for me.
    Yea..heel slippage seems to be an issue with AE for quite a few people.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    I tried them on again first thing this morning with thinner socks and still a little tight.

The AE factory store in NC had a 10.5E in stock. I got them to match the 30% off and then I also realized I can return the one I don't want to the local AE factory store and avoid the restocking fee. So win/win. Now I just hope it fits. I'm wondering if I should just order the 10E as well and have my own mini shoe store in my den!

I wouldn't relish taking the two return back to my local store though although I guess it gives them more inventory to sell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    All of my AE's are 11.5E except for my Dalton's which are 12D--closer to what I think of as TTS. They are a little snug in the mornings (width wise), but by the end of the day they feel great. Tried on several different sizes in store and this was the best option.