Thread: Thick but slim fitting sweaters?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Thick but slim fitting sweaters?

I am looking for thick sweaters that are fairly slim. Most chunky sweaters have tons of extra material at the waist and arms, and the fitted ones (e.g., merino v-necks) are typically too light-weight to offer sufficient warmth beyond serving as one of several layers in my climate. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The S.N.S Herning Stark cardigan is very heavy and slim fitting.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    I think your best bet may be to look for a blend vs. all wool if cost is a determining factor. All wool will need more than 2-ply which is pretty standard. 3- and 4-ply will offer more warmth but will be $$$ and you will have to find a brand that offers that. William Lockie is one off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1360 Post(s)
    What about LLBean? I don't own any of their sweaters so I can't give you any first hand experience. But I do get their catalog and their sweaters look nice. Maybe ask around and see if their sweaters are what you're after?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I think your best bet may be to look for a blend vs. all wool if cost is a determining factor. All wool will need more than 2-ply which is pretty standard. 3- and 4-ply will offer more warmth but will be $$$ and you will have to find a brand that offers that. William Lockie is one off the top of my head.
    I would actually prefer a blend due to it being easier to launder. However, most retailers don't seem to speficy the ply of the weave. How do you determine this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What about LLBean? I don't own any of their sweaters so I can't give you any first hand experience. But I do get their catalog and their sweaters look nice. Maybe ask around and see if their sweaters are what you're after?
    Thanks for the advice. I really like LL Bean stuff, but I find it's still too bulky for my thin frame. That's often the problem with American heritage style clothing, I find, which is unfortunate.
    Last edited by elduderino260; January 23rd, 2019 at 01:50 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I got this sweater from of all places Levis about 3 years ago - it's a pretty good rendition of an Aran fisherman sweater. Not sure how much has changed besides the colorways but the version I have from a few years back was/is very thick and warm. I sized down to a small (actually at the time their size chart said a small went to 38 which is my jacket size so I was at the high end of the small range) and it is definitely a trim fit for me, but not too slim to wear a button up shirt and T shirt under it. I'm about 5'8" and 155 lbs. So you might want to size down if you're close to between sizes. Mine is a light to mid-grey. This year they have crimson if you want to go real bold or a color they call Sky Captain that is more muted - looks like a darker blueish grey or grey. I've tried that with LL Bean and have the same issue you do - still way too roomy. https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothi...er/p/194800008
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I'm a slim guy and like thick sweaters...I find LL Bean Signature has some good selections in a trim(mer) cut, for instance...

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6659...=781-GN3&csp=a

...and overall J Crew's sweaters are more trim. The Wallace and Barnes line usually has better and thicker wool. It seems like they are sold out at the moment but here's a sweater I bought this year that I like very much...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wallace-Bar...SWK:rk:14:pf:0