Thread: Tech sling bag

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

Tech sling bag

Hey guys,

I had shoulder surgery and need to be careful how much weight I carry and I can't use my tech backpack for a few months.

Does anyone have experience with this newer form - the tech sling? I'm looking at models from SF Bags and Aer. (Aer is a new discovery for me, they are a favorite over at Carryology and have a minimal vibe I like).

Sutter Tech Sling (I'd get black ballistic) https://www.sfbags.com/products/tech-sling-bag

https://www.aersf.com/tech-sling-black/

I prefer the look and the price tag of the Aer plus it's shipping now but it looks like I wouldn't be able to change the orientation of the bar to keep it off my bad shoulder.

Anyone else have a tech sling or have a recommendation on one that works on the right shoulder and can hold a 13" laptop?

Thanks guys - Happy New Year from icy NYC

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Oh man the one strap backpacks are back ... I feel old lol I had one back in the late 90s for school, constantly resifting the weight since it puts all the pressure on one shoulder unless it has an around the stomach strap. How much stuff do you normally carry? If not a lot I think it wouldn't be as bad but back in the day with all the text books etc. no good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I like the look of the Aer Travel Sling Messenger Bag.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    962 Post(s)
    Check out Timbuktu and Thule. Both have commuter oriented bags with good organization options. I personally own a Thule pack and really like it. More than I expected to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Oh man the one strap backpacks are back ... I feel old lol I had one back in the late 90s for school, constantly resifting the weight since it puts all the pressure on one shoulder unless it has an around the stomach strap. How much stuff do you normally carry? If not a lot I think it wouldn't be as bad but back in the day with all the text books etc. no good.
    Yeah, these feel a little 90s to me too. I like how the Aer ones have a minimal, technical look that I think is a little different.

While I have this injury, I need to keep my air travel gear as light as I can. I’m going to start with headphones and Kindle for my first trip. Work up to adding my 13” laptop if my first trip goes well.

I had been a maximalist traveling with a huge Tumi backpack both on the NYC subway and on planes, but something smaller will be much better for my busted shoulder and I’m excited/interested to see how I do with carrying less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaxter View Post
    I like the look of the Aer Travel Sling Messenger Bag.
    I emailed Aer with some questions and they said Travel sling is the best one for me. So well done! Might try that one.