Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low/no cal. water supplements or alternatives?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)

Low/no cal. water supplements or alternatives?

As part of 2019 I'm looking to avoid sugars. Now I drink a lot of water at work which is fine. But when I'm at home watching TV I like something flavoured or with a little more pizzazz.

So, can any of you recommend either a) some flavour to add to water that isn't sugar or fake sugar (i.e. Aspartame, Corn syrup, etc.) or b) a drink that has some flavour and isn't as dull as plain ol' water?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    La Croix is like a form of currency around here at my office. It's just flavored carbonated water, no sweeteners. I like the coconut flavor the best as coconut has a bit of natural sweetness to it that counteracts the acidity of the carbonation.

I also like herbal teas, many of which are naturally sweet, like the maple ginger and zinger flavors from Celestial Seasonings. Many of these work well as iced teas if you don't like hot drinks.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    A 2nd for La Croix or similar beverages and also tea. I limit my La Croix to like 2 per week but my wife is a couple per day...she is a "Basic Bitch" as they say and she admits it. For tea, during the day I am a green tea fan and used to drink peppermint tea at night but that kept me up...naturally it was the peppermint. I would recommend this German tea my wife got me called Detox but I doubt you will find it.

Thinking about it now...I don't know what drinks you have in Canada vs. the US. I feel like I recommend items to you then have to reverse course...sorry Canada.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    One general thought is if you are searching for alternatives, water will always feel plain or dull. You also don't always have to go low calorie if it's the right drink. For example, maybe skim milk? I also tend to take one of my BCAA drinks in the evening as a change of pace from just water.

I also have crystal light when I want a water substitute but I do it for the caffeine versions to avoid too much coffee. Probably not the best for the evening. I know it's not an ideal answer but the best isn't a substitute it's to get away from artificial drinks and substitutes, so water won't feel as plan or dull.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    This La Croix drink sounds interesting. I'm guessing you just pick it up at the grocery store? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll have to keep my eye out for it next time we're getting groceries.

As for skim milk @hockeysc23 dairy and I aren't the best of friends. I mean I'd like to be friends, but dairy has different ideas...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    This La Croix drink sounds interesting. I'm guessing you just pick it up at the grocery store? I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll have to keep my eye out for it next time we're getting groceries.

As for skim milk @hockeysc23 dairy and I aren't the best of friends. I mean I'd like to be friends, but dairy has different ideas...
    Definitely understand. I go through a gallon of milk a week pretty easily ... I don't know what I'd do if dairy didn't agree with me. There are several other variations though for those having problems with lactose. Maybe too expensive for an everyday option but maybe something to consider.

La Croix is almost everywhere here in the US, Target, Walmart, grocery stores etc. The wife loves them but she has more control for those things. That's why I just had to go cold turkey on all sodas etc. she can have 1 a week or less. I get caught up. Dropped all sodas about 4 years ago. Not even in a mixed drink and I don't miss it.

Celestial Seasonings makes some great cool and hot tea variations. I usually add in a bit of honey for a simple sugar.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Add to still water:
    Cucumber - a tiny bit goes a long way, you can even just swish a slice around and then take it out of the water.
    Lemon / Lime slices - a little lemon goes with the cucumber too.
    Halos / Clementines are cheap this season, you can throw a slice of one in your water and eat the rest.
    Pineapple chunk.
    Blackberries - smoosh them a little to get the flavor out.
    Melon of any type - just toss a sliver in. Watermelon or honeydew are good, cantaloupe goes with cucumber if you like that.

There are special water bottles that have a filter reservoir to put your fruit in so it doesn't disintegrate into your water. That's way too fancy for me, so I can't vouch for their efficacy.

I drink a LOT of sparkling water, so if that's your pleasure, you can add any citrus or fruit to that as well. Also a dash of bitters. Or bitters AND fruit - I like Angostura with orange peel, or Peychaud's with lemon or lime.

Plain unsweetened iced tea - not the sugar/lemony stuff you get in Canada, but fresh brewed black tea over ice.
    If you like bitter green tea, give yerba mate a try. Lots of caffeine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    It's just flavored sparkling water. No sugar. NOT like the Italian sodas from Pelligrino, which are sweetened. Fortinos and (I think) Shoppers Drug Mart sell "President's Choice" private label sparkling water in 12 pack cans.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    So one thing to consider with the "natural" carbonated flavored waters is there are still some concerns from nutritionists on how good carbonation and how your body reacts to it. Now artificial sweeteners are different but there are still some concerns:

Not only are all those bubbles not great for your teeth (carbonation comes from CO2, carbon dioxide, which reacts with water to form carbolic acid, which may wear away tooth enamel). It also may not be great for your weight. One study published in the journal Obesity Research and Clinical Practice found that rats that had carbonated drinks ate more and gained more weight over a six-month period than those that drank flat drinks or plain water. The bubbly-bev rats also had more of the appetite-increasing hormone ghrelin, which signals your body to eat more, which can explain the weight gain.

So, my answer to the question of how much LaCroix is too much? Ideally, I'd suggest you max out at one or two sparkling water drinks a day, drink them from a glass bottle, and add your own fresh flavoring (slice of lemon, lime, or grapefruit) for an extra boost. My personal favorite (unflavored) brands are Topo Chico, Mountain Valley, and Gerolsteiner. If you cannot live without a little lemon/lime flavor, Spindrift uses real fruit extracts
    https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating...n-isnt-healthy

Everyone is slightly different. But I'd monitor how your body responds. I still think it's better to overcome the "boring" water concern

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    My girlfriend likes La Croix also, as well as Spindrift seltzers which have been a little harder to find. I think Target has them though.

I like those Bai drinks, don't have any here to look at the nutrition or ingredients but pretty sure it's low cal and little to no sugar.