Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AE Dalton Dainite Sole

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2028 Post(s)
    I hate leather soled shoes because I can't wear them 6 months out of the year here in Montana. I would pick Dainite every time.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you’re open to sacrilege, could always try leather with a topsole. I prefer that to Dainite when it’s damp outdoors. More tread, and they don’t wear out as fast as you would think they would. In puddles and snow, yes, Dainite. But I’ve done alright in Detroit winters with topsoles

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Dalton is my favorite boot from AE in terms of style--beautiful. But I don't have any (yet). Have you seen the pair in shell that @armedferret posted about?

So: Congratulations!

A friend just got the Normandy boots with the Dainite soles and he likes the soles a lot. Although he had to return them because of other issues with stitching and so forth.

My love/hate relationship with AE continues--Another friend just got sent a crappy pair of Park Avenues that he has to return. Huge winkles in the leather. Supposed to be firsts.

I'm going to hijack your thread and incur the wrath of someone in order to whine about how when you get a good pair of mainline AE shoes, they are amazing and beautiful and I love wearing them, but it seems like it's a 50-50 shot on getting good ones.

Same friend who is returning the PA also got a pair of Fifth Avenues in dark chili and they are gorgeous. I had not seen that color in person and I love it.

Anyways--like everyone else, I'd go with the Dainite if weather is your concern.
    Thanks. I couldn't find the post about the shell Daltons. Could you provide a link?

I had some QC issues with AE as well. The first two pair I ordered which were firsts, Park Avenue and Boulevard, I returned.

I then bought a pair of 5th Avenues in coffee which were seconds and although there were some minor issues I kept them.

I just ordered the Daltons in walnut with the Dainite soles. They are seconds so I am hoping I don't have to exchange or return them but like you said, it's a crap shoot. That said, at the price I paid ($275), it is worth it (to me) to take the chance.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks. I couldn't find the post about the shell Daltons. Could you provide a link?
    I can't find it either. Maybe @armedferret will show up and point the way.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    man i just deleted my pics from my flickr too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    man i just deleted my pics from my flickr too.
    Probably just as well. Saved me from some more shoe envy.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Never fear, I grabbed the pic from my "5 faves" column I did for Dappered last year.

Shell-Daltons-500 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    If I recall rightly, the Dalton is a double sole in the leather. It might not be as great a matter as you think.

If you got the leather sole, you could apply a top sole which would increase longevity because you can take it off as it wears out and replace it readily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I decided I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of boots I have been lusting over. The Allen Edmonds Dalton in Walnut.

Trying to decide between the regular or Dainite sole.

Living in the northeast with rain, snow and ice I'm figuring the Dainite would be far more practical.

Interested in hearing your opinions on the Dainite. Pros and cons?

Thanks.
    Dainite all day every day.

I have walnut Daltons with leather sole and every time I wear them regret it. Didn't even think about it at the time. I'd wear them so much more with Dainite. Beautiful boot in that color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Never fear, I grabbed the pic from my "5 faves" column I did for Dappered last year.

Shell-Daltons-500 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
    Thanks for finding it.

Wowza!