Thread: Fit of your dress shirt vs casual shirt

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Fit of your dress shirt vs casual shirt

I was looking for a versatile button up shirt that I can wear for casual situation, but also as a dress shirt for Fridays and other business casual environment, and noticed that I tend to wear my dress shirts just a touch slimmer than casual shirts.

Anybody else does that too, or is it one shirt fit for every situation?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    All my shirts have the same fit. I wear most of them both for business and play. My jeans and chinos are also about the same fit as my wool pants.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I wear Regent dress shirts and Madison sport shirts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    I strive for the same fit. Off memory some of my casual ones might be a tad bit snugger since I donít wear a tie with them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    I go for the same fit. Slim and fitted, but not tight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Iím pickier about dress shirt fit. I want the collar to be perfectly sized so itís neat but not tight when I wear a tie. Sleeves should be long enough with a tight cuff to be the right length at all times when worn under a jacket. Body length should be as long as possible without being so long that it goes down my pant legs. A long shirt stays tucked in better.

For causal shirts Iím less concerned with the collar size since I wonít wear a tie. They shouldnít be too long so I can sometimes go untucked. Iím also not too picky about sleeve length as long as the sleeves are long enough. I also prefer a casual shirt not to be tight on top of my waist band when worn untucked. With a dress shirt it can be slimmer as it will always be tucked.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I usually go for the same fit, my dress shirts are usually a different material and a bit longer. I buy my dress shirts neck and sleeve and get them tailored or custom made. My casual shirts are size L, LT, or XL and then tailored.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Iím pickier about dress shirt fit. I want the collar to be perfectly sized so itís neat but not tight when I wear a tie. Sleeves should be long enough with a tight cuff to be the right length at all times when worn under a jacket. Body length should be as long as possible without being so long that it goes down my pant legs. A long shirt stays tucked in better.

For causal shirts Iím less concerned with the collar size since I wonít wear a tie. They shouldnít be too long so I can sometimes go untucked. Iím also not too picky about sleeve length as long as the sleeves are long enough. I also prefer a casual shirt not to be tight on top of my waist band when worn untucked. With a dress shirt it can be slimmer as it will always be tucked.
    Ok, I am less picky about neck fit and arm length for casual shirts. I always roll up the sleeves a bit on casual shirts so I guess I don't care at all about sleeve length on those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I also prefer a casual shirt not to be tight on top of my waist band when worn untucked. With a dress shirt it can be slimmer as it will always be tucked.
    Came here to say basically this. Wide hips and narrow waist mean I get some odd draping if my untucked shirts are too slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk