Thread: Blazer Button Placement

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Blazer Button Placement

Guys and gals,

Taking inspiration from today's swazer post, I started noticing the high button placement on most of these items and it really doesn't sit well with me.

I am a relatively tall guy (6'-2") and having a button in my lower chest/rib-cage area looks appalling to me. I really, REALLY prefer lower button placement.

Is that only me that has this pet-peeve?

Weigh in!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Most of those swazers have a really short tail, and I think that's the cause of the high button stance. If you made those with a low button stance it would look like you had cut off the bottom 6" of a jacket. Plus, I think the classic length tail would look weird with the knit material. None of those jackets were particularly appealing to me.

However, if the jacket length is appropriate, it is really all about proportions. In my case, I'm 5'11" and slim, but I have a long torso and relatively short legs (30" inseam). I actually like having a slightly raised on my jackets as it makes my legs appear proportionally longer, which helps me to look taller. My favorite 2-button jackets have a top button that is above my natural waist. I've worn suits with lowered button stances and I really dislike how short my legs look in them.

On the flip side, if you have proportionally long legs, I think you're going to look better with a lower button stance to visually even out your proportions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Depends less on your height and more on your torso length/overall proportions. It's a little hard to gauge things nowadays, given that Ordinary Joe has turned in Joe the Hulk. (Seems the joggers trend made him angry.) That said, a lot of those swazers probably should be a slightly more elongated (longer with lower button placement) for the typical person.

To illustrate, here's the same BR burgundy blazer on a different body: https://i.imgur.com/8AguYZy.jpg
    Last edited by sky7i; January 15th, 2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added photo

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calexako View Post
    Guys and gals,

Taking inspiration from today's swazer post, I started noticing the high button placement on most of these items and it really doesn't sit well with me.

I am a relatively tall guy (6'-2") and having a button in my lower chest/rib-cage area looks appalling to me. I really, REALLY prefer lower button placement.

Is that only me that has this pet-peeve?

Weigh in!
    Many bad looks in that article. Show that article to "Ask Andy About Clothes" community and the members would agree with you.

There's probably some leeway, but at some point you can chop too much (hence, the button can be too high) is not a matter of preference anymore--it's a matter of your having good taste or not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    This article is pretty spot-on: https://putthison.com/q-and-answer-w...ere-should-my/

I actually prefer a slightly higher button stance, because most jackets today are fairly chopped on the tail, so a lower button stance often accentuates the chopped nature of the jacket (I'm looking at you, J. Crew). Meanwhile, most of SuitSupply's jackets have a slightly higher button stance, which still looks right to me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I always buy long jacket sizes either way so high button stance is terrifying to me.