Thread: Light Colored Shoes in Winter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Light Colored Shoes in Winter

In college I had a roommate that never wore light brown shoes in the winter. His philosophy was that lighter-colored shoes were for summer and darker shoes could be worn any time of year. I used to think that was stupid ("you can pry my bright white Nikes off my cold, dead feet"), but over the years I've seen a few articles and posts that back him up so I became more sensitive to it.

In any event it seems that "rule" has been going out the window during the last decade or so. Exhibit 1 for today is https://dappered.com/2019/01/style-s...nter-doldrums/ where Joe recommends tan Chelseas to beat the winter blues. Is this a victory for the lighter-color movement, or did Joe just trip over his laces?

So what say you? Are tan, light gray, and light brown shoes okay in winter? Or are they summer-only shoes? Or is this whole shoe color thing silly?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    448 Post(s)
    There ok in winter. I think they are often not worn because in some winter climates they would get dirty with snow and sleet etc on the roads. At least that’s the first thing that came to mind with the 9” of snow we got in the dc area this weekend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I don't wear walnut in winter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    Rules are for people like you who can't just eyeball things and know what looks right or wrong.

The color of your suit dictates the color of your tie and shoes. Likewise, harmony will be maintained if your outfit considers the weather outside.

I don't have real seasons here in Southern California. But when it's gloomy outside, my outfit will be somber; when it's sunny, it can be more cheerful.

Related: I prefer wearing darker pants and shoes in the evening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i think lighter-colored pants and shoes can be worn in winter. But for me they seem more appropriate when the weather is clear and at least partly sunny.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    If you wear typical winter color stuff, say, dark wash jeans, burgundy sweater, and black jacket, and then wear light gray shoes, meh, people might notice, but won't make a deal out of it.

If, however, you're doing khaki chinos, lime green shirt, and light gray shoes, then yes, people will notice and probably think it's a bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Wearing tan shoes in the winter is not a bad idea though I prefer darker ones because they match better with grey flannel trousers and brown tweeds.