Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Banana Republic shoe / boot quality?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Current Banana Republic shoe / boot quality?

In the past BR had a bad reputation for the quality of its shoes. But recently Dappered has been giving them some good reviews:

https://dappered.com/2019/09/in-revi...n-chukka-boot/
    https://dappered.com/2019/02/in-revi...ey-suede-boot/

I was wondering, if anyone else here has bought their footwear in the last year or two, do you concur? I ask because I saw the brown leather version of the Arley suede boot reviewed above, and it looked nice:

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...?pid=493143002
    Mentioned & pictured here: https://dappered.com/2019/10/banana-...ch-exclusions/

I couldn't try it on because they didn't have my size in that store or any other local stores. I tried some other models on and they felt OK, but you can't really tell until they're broken in. They did seem to have trouble with color consistency, as one pair was a good brown color similar to the pictures, and the other was darker, closer to black. I'll have to take my chances on that and return it if I don't like the color.

So, I'm wondering if it's worth ordering a pair of these while they're on sale. Has anyone owned some of their recent shoes for a decent amount of time? Do they hold up reasonably in terms of durability, and comfort when you're wearing them all day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I own a few pairs from BR, but none purchased in the past couple years. My take is that the quality is average, but they look & feel great. All the shoes & boots are comfortable, even during long days. That being said, I have enough pairs to not have to wear them everyday. If these are for daily use, I would advise against them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    I was looking at that in the store. It's definitely not a " work" boot, but it's probably worth 89 dollars, if you like it. I have a pair of their plain toe derbys that have held up nicely, but I only wear them about 10 times a year.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    599 Post(s)
    I'm watching this to see if it turns into a, "if you only spent $$$ more, you could buy BRAND NAME," thread.

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I have had a pair of their white Nicklas sneakers, for a year now, and those have held up pretty well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
    I own a few pairs from BR, but none purchased in the past couple years. My take is that the quality is average, but they look & feel great. All the shoes & boots are comfortable, even during long days.
    I own more recent pairs and my assessment is the same as yours here. They're just glued together shoes. BUT, they tend to look far higher end than they really are, and they are extremely comfortable. I think they do cheap (it's BR; if you pay more than 60% of MSRP, you're dumb) shoes better than anyone.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy more. Their chukkas are a favorite of mine - sleek last, surprisingly nice leather, extremely comfortable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Have a dress shoes from them, been wearing it 2-3 times a week for about a year with regular polishing and shoe tree overnight. It has a couple scuffs here and there, but I'm generally not too gentle with my clothes and shoes. Considering that, and the fact that it was under $100, I think it's worth the money.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    They are a great value for under $100. I have a pair of chukkas from 2-3 years ago in "calfskin." The shape and comfort are on point, but the laces are falling apart and the leather is plastic-y and doesn't take a conditioner or polish well. However, they are in surprisingly good shape still, especially considering they are my "beater" shoes when its snowing/raining and I still want something with a sleek profile. I just ordered a pair of Kenley Chelsea's for $80, so I was willing to get a second pair of BR shoes, for what its worth.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I'm watching this to see if it turns into a, "if you only spent $$$ more, you could buy BRAND NAME," thread.

To be fair, if the OP is buying shoes on a budget then yes, BR would make sense. But, the aim for a lot of people is to get maximum usage and bang for your buck, especially with items that will see some abuse over time. Reputable brands of course will cost more but we all know those are made to a better standard and can be resoled/refurbished as long as they're taken care of. I'm not a fan of AE but at least their shoes are miles above BR and within an affordable price range. I realize that price will always be a consideration and some people will put that above all else, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I'll always advocate for better quality brands because those would fall into the 'buy it for life' category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Reasonable quality for the price

I bought a similar pair of boots, in leather, from BR in the fall (on sale too). They look exactly as pictured on the website. This winter I've been wearing them about once a week. I like the look of them. They are reasonably comfortable, but as others have said, they probably would not be comfortable for a long walk. They run a little large, but not enough to size down. Thick socks or an inner sole does the trick. Like all my shoes and boots, I keep them in shoe trees and clean and polish them after use and I expect them to hold up for at least a couple of years, probably longer.