Page 59 of 90 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: What shoes are you wearing today?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Oh boy--Justin can get a little defensive about creasing.

https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2015...nd-simple.html

I love the shoes.
    I think it's a valid concern, especially for a prospective buyer that wants satisfaction in terms of fit and also aesthetics. I have a pretty high instep and this pair is high even for me, with a smidge extra height over the ball joint too. I know his 6-eyelet models have a higher instep than other variations in his lines so again, I suspect it's related to shoe volume vs foot volume, and as the blog says not an indicator of quality. If this were a captoe, would I have creasing into the cap? Hard to say. My Sebastiens (also JFP) developed creases quickly, but they're also museum calf. And I've seen reports that Ilcea is softer than Du Puy as far as museum goes, so the trade-off is an easy break-in in exchange for faster wrinkles.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think it's a valid concern, especially for a prospective buyer that wants satisfaction in terms of fit and also aesthetics. I have a pretty high instep and this pair is high even for me, with a smidge extra height over the ball joint too. I know his 6-eyelet models have a higher instep than other variations in his lines so again, I suspect it's related to shoe volume vs foot volume, and as the blog says not an indicator of quality. If this were a captoe, would I have creasing into the cap? Hard to say. My Sebastiens (also JFP) developed creases quickly, but they're also museum calf. And I've seen reports that Ilcea is softer than Du Puy as far as museum goes, so the trade-off is an easy break-in in exchange for faster wrinkles.
    I think the creases on my JFP tassel loafers seem about normal. I compared them to my AE McNeil in this photo. I decided to wear them today as I work from home.

My main dissatisfaction with my JFP loafer is the sizing seems a bit on the small side and they aren’t all that comfortable. Indeed, some days they are quite uncomfortable.

Coincidently, I’m expecting my JFP MTO boots to arrive today. I ordered them with a roomier last—I hope that fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I think the creases on my JFP tassel loafers seem about normal. I compared them to my AE McNeil in this photo. I decided to wear them today as I work from home.
    Did you order your regular size or size down for the loafers?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)
    Did you order your regular size or size down for the loafers?
    I ordered an 11UK (12US) which up until about 2 or 3 years ago, was my regular size. Now, a 12.5, which is hard to find, is a better fit because of my growing bunions. The 12 is long enough on the JFP loafers, just really tight across the toes. This is not uncommon for me. Because I developed some nerve damage a few years back in big toe on my right foot (long story) shoes that are tight across the toes are particularly uncomfortable. 13's are almost always too big, except sometimes when I put in an innersole, they are okay. And except for the AE Park Avenue.

Okay--I'm old--I could talk about how my shoes fit and my aches and pains all day. I will stop boring people.

But I will say that I do appreciate shoe makers like AE and Jack Erwin that offer some models in 12.5. They are almost always a perfect fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I ordered an 11UK (12US) which up until about 2 or 3 years ago, was my regular size. Now, a 12.5, which is hard to find, is a better fit because of my growing bunions. The 12 is long enough on the JFP loafers, just really tight across the toes.
    Loafers can be hard to fit in general, but maybe you can stretch yours across the width enough to make them comfortable? I hope your boots are the fit you're looking for. There's always bespoke if not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    You're welcome. I think it's also partially the lighting. Going back through some of my other pictures of the shoes the wrinkles are less pronounced. When standing they're virtually unnoticeable. I'm happy to PM you some more pictures if you'd like.
    Thanks a lot for the offer. I was just trying to understand if those creases were really as bad as it looks. JFP is supposed to be a quality shoemaker. As mebejoseph pointed out, creasing may not really be a measure of quality, but when you pay what you pay for a JFP creasing can be bit heart breaking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Agreed. I normally don’t get into the dual color/material shoes, but the dark brown calf on the bottom paired with the lighter (but not too light) suede up top looks great on those. I’ve got a couple of shoes that fit great everywhere and are definitely sized right but have more volume in the toe area than I need. Wrinkling like that can be the result. As Justin says in the link, nothing wrong with that. It can even add to the character of the shoe.

Edit - meant to quote mebejoseph’s post.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Thanks a lot for the offer. I was just trying to understand if those creases were really as bad as it looks. JFP is supposed to be a quality shoemaker. As mebejoseph pointed out, creasing may not really be a measure of quality, but when you pay what you pay for a JFP creasing can be bit heart breaking.
    I'm not sure that you wouldn't have the same issues on a pair of museum Lobbs. For what it's worth I haven't experienced the same degree of creasing on my regular calf JFP shoes, and regardless of the creasing I do think he makes a quality product. And they've always been comfortable right out of the box for me, which not all brands can say. Still, if you have concerns I'd email him and see what he has to say.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    523 Post(s)
    They finally arrived, so I had to wear them.

This last is a much better fit for my weird feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I'm not sure that you wouldn't have the same issues on a pair of museum Lobbs. For what it's worth I haven't experienced the same degree of creasing on my regular calf JFP shoes, and regardless of the creasing I do think he makes a quality product. And they've always been comfortable right out of the box for me, which not all brands can say. Still, if you have concerns I'd email him and see what he has to say.
    I sure will do that. Thanks again.