Thread: Help with a winter coat?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Help with a winter coat?

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through the winter coat forum post (and others) and researching via many of the articles on the site and... now I can't make a decision on what to buy.

I thought I was sold on the navy Italian Melton Car Coat at BR (https://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...p-page-content) but as I've read reviews and posts on here, it sounds like maybe it's not as great as it seems?

In any case, I'm looking for something like that - not too long, but with some length, and something that's warm but not ultra heavy/bulky (I'm a very thin person - 6', 150). I live in Tennessee and we get cold winters, but it's relative. We're talking mostly 30s and sometimes a little below that, but usually with enough sun to keep you okay.

I'd really like to not spend over $200, though - and the cheaper the better (I'm also open to eBaying).

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I have the BR melton wool car coat from a couple years back and would definitely recommend it for your climate. With only an undershirt and dress shirt, it is comfortable down to 35-40 degrees or so. Add another layer, like a sweater or thin down vest and a hat and scarf and it'll work for lower temps.

IIRC I paid around $150 for it about a week or so before Christmas. It's an excellent value for that. The fabric is great, though mine says it is 85% wool and 15% nylon from Mario Bellucci while the version you linked is a bit less wool with some poly, from a different mill. The lining (~50/50 poly/rayon) is good, the construction is very solid and I love the styling for my bizcaz wardrobe as it's more versatile than a topcoat.

What makes you think it's not good? The older version won Joe's outerwear best in show in 2017:

https://dappered.com/2017/11/best-lo...llwinter-2017/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I have the BR melton wool car coat from a couple years back and would definitely recommend it for your climate. With only an undershirt and dress shirt, it is comfortable down to 35-40 degrees or so. Add another layer, like a sweater or thin down vest and a hat and scarf and it'll work for lower temps.

IIRC I paid around $150 for it about a week or so before Christmas. It's an excellent value for that. The fabric is great, though mine says it is 85% wool and 15% nylon from Mario Bellucci while the version you linked is a bit less wool with some poly, from a different mill. The lining (~50/50 poly/rayon) is good, the construction is very solid and I love the styling for my bizcaz wardrobe as it's more versatile than a topcoat.

What makes you think it's not good? The older version won Joe's outerwear best in show in 2017:

https://dappered.com/2017/11/best-lo...llwinter-2017/

This is super helpful - thank you! I had read some reviews on the listing itself that weren't great and coupled with a few comments I'd read on the forums about their products not being "as good as they once were" got me curious.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    @_dap if you do opt to try it, given your build, I'd start with a size small.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    @Burner thanks for the note. I'm going by the store today to try it on and see what's up. Fit is always interesting, I'm super broad so hopefully the shoulders don't squeeze me to death. haha

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I've got the BR from a couple years ago and agree it's well constructed and a good value. My only quibble is the center placket that hides the buttons. To me it's actually too clean looking when buttoned up. I wish you could see the buttons. That said, I'm guessing the center placket is a correct traditional detail. I also agree about the sizing. I'm 6'2" 180 and the medium borders on slightly boxy on me.