Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Dress to Kill party

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

    Dress to Kill party

    So my friend invited me to a Dress to Kill christmas party. In addition to the fact that my suits suck, this basically an invitation to dress beyond my means. It actually says "James Bond style" in the invite. I pretty much decided I would try a higher end rental, but to that end how can I not go for a white jacket tux? I mean, when am I ever going get an event that calls for that again? Dammit, I'm going to be hearing the theme music until the 14th LOL.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    190 Post(s)
    I'd buy a Quantum of Solace style charcoal suit, dark grey tie, double cuffs combo; and then you'll own a good suit when the party's over.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,415
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    So my friend invited me to a Dress to Kill christmas party. In addition to the fact that my suits suck, this basically an invitation to dress beyond my means. It actually says "James Bond style" in the invite. I pretty much decided I would try a higher end rental, but to that end how can I not go for a white jacket tux? I mean, when am I ever going get an event that calls for that again? Dammit, I'm going to be hearing the theme music until the 14th LOL.
    My wife and I go to a lot of costume parties. Sometimes we spend a s**t load of money on costumes--I usually regret that, because we get very limited use from those pieces. We've also found some very good used formal wear on ebay that we've used for costumes. For example, for about $50, I picked up a perfectly good tail coat that I use for parties with a Victorian or Edwardian theme. You may want to consider something like that instead of spending beyond your means.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I'd buy a Quantum of Solace style charcoal suit, dark grey tie, double cuffs combo; and then you'll own a good suit when the party's over.
    I like your idea. I'm already saving for a nice suit and it will be either charcoal, as you suggest, or navy. Good excuse to go ahead and splurge, right? Even though that's a smart play, hard not to go all in on a killer tux rental.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    My wife and I go to a lot of costume parties. Sometimes we spend a s**t load of money on costumes--I usually regret that, because we get very limited use from those pieces. We've also found some very good used formal wear on ebay that we've used for costumes. For example, for about $50, I picked up a perfectly good tail coat that I use for parties with a Victorian or Edwardian theme. You may want to consider something like that instead of spending beyond your means.
    I'm def looking to ebay for some sportcoats, but I'm a little leery of buying things on ebay I can't try on. As hard as it is to get a good shoulder fit on average, I have more difficult than average to fit shoulders. Plus I've only got a few weeks to figure it out and get fitted. 2 weeks ago maybe I would have felt differently.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Dark suit, turtleneck, and an accessory = Henchman #2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    Dark suit, turtleneck, and an accessory = Henchman #2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did a light grey suit with black mockneck for an office Christmas party and got a few comments that I looked like James Bond. I was aiming more for 1960s Bond villain, but I'll take the compliment.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    this sounds to me like an excuse to get a great new suit that you'll wear at other occasions as well. (just for the love of all things holy don't get a black suit)

    plenty of time to get in on Spier's black friday deals this week. if you're not on their mailing list i'd get there asap.

    Should be some impressive stuff happening soon.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Another vote for grey suit with turtle neck

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)
    There is a website about all of Bond's clothes. I think it is called jamesbondssuits or something. I suggest you look for inspiration there. I do think the others are making good suggestions.

    You could also order a Bond NATO strap from cheapest NATO Straps, provided you have a watch...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •