Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shawl collared cardigan with a tie.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)
    I've seen photos where it looks good. But I can't recall ever seeing it in person.

But I don't hate square-toed shoes either. So, take it for what it's worth.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yeah, that is what I was originally going to do. I figured I'd lose the jacket and just do a shawl cardigan for comfort, but I can always just take the jacket off when I am seated. I was just curious as to what others thought of the shawl with tie look. I googled images and some of the looks werent too bad.
    It's not a bad look though I would prefer the V-neck sweater under a jacket. Nothing wrong with taking it up a notch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/04/97/9f/0...l-oconnell.jpg

I think it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    If you need to dress up, sweater under a sportcoat would be a nice look. If you don't, cardigan+tie is a fine option. I wear it to work sometimes, as jacket and tie is way above the dress level of everyone else in the office.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    I have a very hard time ever endorsing a tie without a suit. It's a very confused look--ties are at the highest level of formality, yet the rest of the outfit isn't formal to match. I think it can either look a little too try-hard/clumsy about 90% of the time. I've only seen it look acceptable in an academia context, but I think the assumption there is that academics are a bit goofy themselves, so it fits the bill.

Luckily, I would lump a medical conference into "academia," broadly defined. But if this is also the kind of conference where you'll see attendees from the business side of biotech and pharmaceuticals, I would expect them to dress a bit more sporty (suits and no ties, or even finance bro-esque vests and quarter zips).

Long story short, it's a hard look to pull off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    ties are at the highest level of formality
    Wait... what?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    Wait... what?
    I stick by what I said. I don't think you should wear a tie without a suit, and a suit and tie is as formal as it gets in terms of dress code, except for black tie, which is just a specific kind of suit (i.e., a tux) with a specific kind of tie (i.e., a black bowtie).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I have done it, and I think with the right combination, it can look great. I would probably choose a more textured tie such as a silk knit, and a button down shirt. If you go this route, please share a picture!

I also disagree that ties are at the highest level of formality, even if we disregard black/white tie. The formality of clothing depends a lot on cut, texture, and color. For instance, I would have a hard time considering something like a textured tweed sport coat worn with a knit tie to be at the "highest level of formality."

I really like this article from Permanent Style describing one possible scale of formality. What I like about it is that he describes how each example could be altered to be a little more or less formal within the categories, and that there may actually be overlap between categories. The presence and type of tie is certainly a major factor, but by no means the only one. It's perhaps worth noting that ties show up explicitly in the first 4 of his 7 categories, and one could argue that they might fit in the last 3 as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    I have done it, and I think with the right combination, it can look great. I would probably choose a more textured tie such as a silk knit, and a button down shirt.
    I'll second this. I work in a semi casual environment so I can't ever really wear a suit like I want, but I do often wear the odd paring a button down, shawl collar cardigan, and textured tie, especially during the winter months. Generally I stick to white/light blue OCBD's and a textured wool tie. I have a couple from Jcrew and the tie bar that IMO look more at home with the cardigan than they do with a more formal suit or sport coat. I would just treat the cardigan like you would a less formal jacket like a really significant tweed or a really bold pattern jacket. Generally this has suited me in knowing what tie will go shawl collar cardigan and which ones wont.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    956 Post(s)
    moisture wicking and insulating base layer, button up, v neck sweater, sport coat. Allows for the most adjustment by removing a small layer and will be very warm, especially if its a tweed or some other heavier sport coat.