Thread: Coat/jacket for Winter in the Northeast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Coat/jacket for Winter in the Northeast

I have a great red/black Spyder ski jacket which looks very stylish when I'm skiing but not so much when I'm not.

I'm looking for suggestions on a jacket that will take me through the winter. I have a 100% wool overcoat. I love the fit and am sentimental about it (as it belonged to my dad before he gave it to me) but it is an older style and longer as it is 2 inches past my knees. In addition I am retired so I am not wearing suits/jackets everyday and it seems a little too much over just a shirt and sweater.

I was considering a shorter topcoat as a possibility but am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have a great red/black Spyder ski jacket which looks very stylish when I'm skiing but not so much when I'm not.

I'm looking for suggestions on a jacket that will take me through the winter. I have a 100% wool overcoat. I love the fit and am sentimental about it (as it belonged to my dad before he gave it to me) but it is an older style and longer as it is 2 inches past my knees. In addition I am retired so I am not wearing suits/jackets everyday and it seems a little too much over just a shirt and sweater.

I was considering a shorter topcoat as a possibility but am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
    Could you provide a little more information about where and with what you will be wearing this coat? I can help with suggestions after you give that info.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    FWIW the "dad coat" look is actually trending right now.

E.g.:

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/...-coat-11767320

You've got a REAL dad coat so why not wear it?
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac10sim View Post
    Could you provide a little more information about where and with what you will be wearing this coat? I can help with suggestions after you give that info.
    This will be my every day coat. So, out to the store, the library, to a casual dinner etc. My outfits this time of year usually revolve around a pair of dark washed jeans or dark chinos, a ocbd shirt with either a crew, neck or cardigan sweater.

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    FWIW the "dad coat" look is actually trending right now.

E.g.:

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/...-coat-11767320

You've got a REAL dad coat so why not wear it?

LOL yes I do. My dad coat is quite a bit longer (like 2 inches south of my knees) and a little more conservative navy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This will be my every day coat. So, out to the store, the library, to a casual dinner etc. My outfits this time of year usually revolve around a pair of dark washed jeans or dark chinos, a ocbd shirt with either a crew, neck or cardigan sweater.

Thanks for the help.
    Hey Ron,

Thanks for the info.

With that in mind I recommend a peacoat. It's a timeless look and can be easily layered. I wouldn't recommend wearing them with a sport coat or suit as they are too short. There are plenty of colors to choose from, I would recommend black or dark gray based on your conservative style. Take stock of what you wear and decide the best color for yourself.

Producers wise, Schott makes a constructed in the US model for a reasonable price. It's a good coat. Billy Reid's Bond pea coat gets a lot of play here. It's and investment piece but might be worth the splurge. Banana Republic does outerwear better than any other fast fashion manufacturer, and their winter sale is coming. You could snag a deal. Finally, check an army Navy surplus store.

Fabric wise, just make sure it's mostly a melton wool.

Hope this info helps you make a decision.

Zach

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I have too many jackets (guess I like all different styles and feel they are an item that can be passed down):

Sterlingwear peacoat (don't need layers, although looks like price has almost doubled since I purchased a few years ago, helps that it is slightly longer)
    Schott Duffle Coat (warm, worked pretty well during the first polar vortex w/thin sweater layered...before I needed to wait hours for the bus)
    Billy Reid Bond peacoat (would need layers/not as warm, use more as a shoulder season jacket)
    Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker (can work with layers)
    Banana Republic and Spier and Mackay overcoats (leg coverage helps, if you do not plan to wear long baselayers)
    Parka (only really wear it once it reaches single digits)
    Sanyo Wool Coat similar to car coat length

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zac10sim View Post
    Hey Ron,

Thanks for the info.

With that in mind I recommend a peacoat. It's a timeless look and can be easily layered. I wouldn't recommend wearing them with a sport coat or suit as they are too short. There are plenty of colors to choose from, I would recommend black or dark gray based on your conservative style. Take stock of what you wear and decide the best color for yourself.

Producers wise, Schott makes a constructed in the US model for a reasonable price. It's a good coat. Billy Reid's Bond pea coat gets a lot of play here. It's and investment piece but might be worth the splurge. Banana Republic does outerwear better than any other fast fashion manufacturer, and their winter sale is coming. You could snag a deal. Finally, check an army Navy surplus store.

Fabric wise, just make sure it's mostly a melton wool.

Hope this info helps you make a decision.

Zach
    Thanks Zach for the response.

A peacoat is what I originally had in mind for the late fall and early winter. Caught a few sales and tried on the ones from Banana Republic and JCrew and it seems I am between sizes (medium is just a tad too tight in the chest). With a sweater underneath a peacoat might do the trick except from the coldest weeks of winter and then I can use my overcoat.

I think I may give the Schott peacoat a try. It seems like a heavier weight coat at a decent price. I like that they come in numerical sizes too instead of just S,M,L.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Ron; January 7th, 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post
    I have too many jackets (guess I like all different styles and feel they are an item that can be passed down):

Sterlingwear peacoat (don't need layers, although looks like price has almost doubled since I purchased a few years ago, helps that it is slightly longer)
    Schott Duffle Coat (warm, worked pretty well during the first polar vortex w/thin sweater layered...before I needed to wait hours for the bus)
    Billy Reid Bond peacoat (would need layers/not as warm, use more as a shoulder season jacket)
    Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker (can work with layers)
    Banana Republic and Spier and Mackay overcoats (leg coverage helps, if you do not plan to wear long baselayers)
    Parka (only really wear it once it reaches single digits)
    Sanyo Wool Coat similar to car coat length
    Thanks for the suggestions.