Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Casual in a Gym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Business Casual in a Gym

I have a somewhat unique job selling fitness equipment to small gym owners. In meetings, they are often coming directly from instructing a fitness class and are in yoga pants/tank (women) or athletic pants / t shirt (men). I'm looking for outfits / brands that allow me to look professional/well dressed but also not be over/under dressed for the meeting. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    My Dad ran his own gym for about 8 years before the recession took him out. He always appreciated a person who was first of all knowledgeable, and secondly, well dressed. I think your best bet is a polo (uniqolo button down collar?) with some hybrid type chinos, perhaps the well reviewed core temp chinos from BR? I’m wearing them now and they really are fantastic. As far as shoes, maybe a chukka of some sort?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    My Dad ran his own gym for about 8 years before the recession took him out. He always appreciated a person who was first of all knowledgeable, and secondly, well dressed. I think your best bet is a polo (uniqolo button down collar?) with some hybrid type chinos, perhaps the well reviewed core temp chinos from BR? I’m wearing them now and they really are fantastic. As far as shoes, maybe a chukka of some sort?
    Thanks! I appreciate the first hand perspective.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    90% of gym owners or managers I know are in the attire you mentioned. Our current guy for our local golds dresses out of the express catalog. As others mentioned I would go with chinos and a nice fitting button down or polo. Maybe keep a lighter more casual type sports coat/jacket in the car when you meet other owners or weather allows.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    I was 100% expecting this to be a troll/parrot thread :lol:

I would agree with others, though. Polo/chinos should do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thoughts on "Athleisure"? Are there any brands(besides Lulu) that make polos/button down/chinos that have an athletic bent but still professional? Are chukkas the only option? Any other shoe ideas?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    As Alex said, try Uniqlo.

I also really like Banana Republic Luxury Touch. They do have a Luxury Touch Performance line, but I do not own any of those.

As for shoes, maybe a leather sneaker would work? Look at the Banana Republic Nicklas.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    Banana Republic Nicklas.
    Bam! I knew there was something better than a chukka. I'm so deep into boot season I forgot about leather sneakers. I also recommend the Nicklas, I have a pair I picked up on deep discount and they're nice. I took them to Italy last November, and they handled 4+ mile days just fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewestpalm View Post
    Thoughts on "Athleisure"? Are there any brands(besides Lulu) that make polos/button down/chinos that have an athletic bent but still professional? Are chukkas the only option? Any other shoe ideas?

Thoughts - are you fit? If not, no on the athleisure.

Maybe those BR sneaker/chukka things that Joe is always pushing? I've seen that style around, seems to be catching on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Check a recent thread if you want the average opinion about athleisure wear around here. Personally, I golf and find Nike polos and pants to be very comfortable. I get a slight taper added to the leg of the pants and the sleeves of the polo shortened. They can be found at great prices in outlets and big box stores.

For your job something like that might be the right go to. Chinos and button down as a first otpion in mine and other's opinions though.

If you want to make it look a little more casual for your gym bound clientele try wearing a casual jacket like a bomber or field jacket over it. It will bring the look down a tad while elevating your style.