Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of that hard skin on the bottom of your feet - tips? Ideas? Suggestions?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1245 Post(s)

Getting rid of that hard skin on the bottom of your feet - tips? Ideas? Suggestions?

My isn't this a lovely topic? I hope you aren't eating anything at the moment...

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting ride of that 'hard' skin on the bottom of your feet? I'm talking about the bottom of the heel and under the main pads of the foot. For me the skin is dry and just not all that pleasant.

I'm not talking athletes foot here. Just hardened skin from running, wearing boots, basically living life.

Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Have you tried a pumice stone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    hard skin as in calluses? maybe some aggressive exfoliating combined with frequent moisturizing?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Colossal-Remo...s=pumice+stone

Check this one out. I had the same question, came across this, and it really does work like magic.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Ped egg ... but be careful ... you can easily overdo it and your feet take a lot of abuse even when not exercising and need that tough skin. Years ago I used my wife's once ... over did it. OMG so much pain for 3-4 days easily.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Ped egg ... but be careful ... you can easily overdo it and your feet take a lot of abuse even when not exercising and need that tough skin. Years ago I used my wife's once ... over did it. OMG so much pain for 3-4 days easily.
    This is what I was going to recommend as well. Has a reservoir to catch all the dead skin and works very well, but like hockey stated, take it slow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)
    Pumice stone or other abrasive will take off the callus, but that will also encourage the body to form new ones. Plus, something is irritating at the skin there. Removing the protective layer without ending the damage-causing condition could lead to more serious issues than cosmetics. We

I found regular moisturizing -- as in every couple of days, permanently -- softened up the calluses on my feet and got rid of most of the rough texture and ragged edges. After all, they're a thicker layer of dead skin than the epidermis normally moisturizes with sebaceous excretions, so they'll dry out lacking external help. After a few weeks they were reasonably smooth, not at all ashy, and needed only the occasional application of an emery board to clean up the borders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    My isn't this a lovely topic? I hope you aren't eating anything at the moment...

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting ride of that 'hard' skin on the bottom of your feet? I'm talking about the bottom of the heel and under the main pads of the foot. For me the skin is dry and just not all that pleasant.

I'm not talking athletes foot here. Just hardened skin from running, wearing boots, basically living life.

Thanks.
    After a certain point, the plantar skin lichenification is no longer just a problem with dryness. The foot remains in a chronic state of steady inflammation akin to a type of atopic dermatitis. If the change is mild to moderate, a steady twice daily application of otc topical steroid should show some benefit within a week. Anything more severe will likely warrant a visit to a dermatologist for prescription strength topicals. Ultimately, a better solution would be to discover the inciting factors and mitigate the inflationary triggers. But I would take my advice as with anything one reads on the internet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    Foot brush every week or so/moisturize before bed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    You might want to start with a pedicure from a reputable place that’s comfortable for you as a male customer. They tend to have upsells that focus on softening and removing calluses from your feet. I get them 3-4 times a year and then try to maintain at home with a rasp.

Like the OPs said you have to be careful not to go too hard. Completely stripping your foot raw will be very comfortable and the hard skin will quickly come back.

You can also use a lotion like this one:
    https://www.kiehls.com/body/body-lot...areas/295.html